Psalm 134

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
A Song of degrees.

This psalm was perhaps penned when David appointed the orders of the Priests and Levites, 1 Chron. 23, 26. In it we have, (1.) The sacred watchers of the temple stirred up, to employ their time in praising God, ver. 1-2. (2.) A fervent prayer for the blessing of God on them, or on others, ver. 3.

While I am in Christ's church, let me provoke myself and others to love, and to good works.

[align=center]John Brown of Haddington[/align]
Psalm 134

Tune: Glenluce - attached

1 Behold, bless ye the Lord, all ye
that his attendants are,
Ev'n you that in God's temple be,
and praise him nightly there.

2 Your hands within God's holy place
lift up, and praise his name.
3 From Sion' hill the Lord thee bless,
that heav'n and earth did frame.

John Mason Good:

It is a beautiful little ode, equally full of sublimity and simplicity. It is commonly supposed to be the work of David. With what admiration should we contemplate the man whose zeal in the cause of religion thus urged him to embrace every opportunity that could occur to him, among the lowest as well as the highest ranks of life, of promoting the praise and glory of his Creator; now composing penitential hymns for his own closet; now leading the temple service in national eulogies of the most sublime pitch to which human language can reach; and now descending to the class of the watchmen and patrol of the temple and the city, and tuning their lips to a reverential utterance of the name and the service of God!"”John Mason Good (1764-1827), in "An Historical Outline of the Book of Psalms."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back