Psalm 139:14

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienPilgrim

Inactive User
"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Most commentators tend to focus on the "wonderfully" made part. What does it mean to be fearfully made? That phrase has always puzzled me. :detective:

~David

Originally posted by AlienPilgrim
"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Most commentators tend to focus on the "wonderfully" made part. What does it mean to be fearfully made? That phrase has always puzzled me. :detective:

~David

BDB lexicon: adverbial; inspire reverence, godly fear and awe

The same form is translated as awesome or terrible. cf. Ps. 45:5; Ps. 65:6; Ps. 106:22; Isa. 64:2

Conclusion: God has created us in such a marvelous and wonderful way that the Psalmist is moved to fear Him.

P.S. David you should check out
http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5636
because you currently are not up to 'snuff' with your signature.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by poimen]

I think it is an indirect reference to General Revelation - in other words, seeing how complicated and complext the human body is, and just how amazing life in general really is, we see the Creator behind it, and are demanded to respond in reverence to Him. We are without excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back