Psalm 150 Praise ye the LORD

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron

Puritan Board Graduate
What does it mean to praise the LORD. The reason for the question is I have a friend who Praises the LORD all the time. Something good happens he says praise the LORD, bad same thing. In fact he is always saying Praise the LORD. Is just saying that phrase praising the LORD, or is there more to it.

I think there is more to it but he say's no.

What does it mean to praise the LORD. The reason for the question is I have a friend who Praises the LORD all the time. Something good happens he says praise the LORD, bad same thing. In fact he is always saying Praise the LORD. Is just saying that phrase praising the LORD, or is there more to it.

I think there is more to it but he say's no.

One can never be completely sure what's going on in someone else's mind when he says "Praise the LORD" like that... but if it's just a mantra that he's adopted, thinking somehow he's satisfying Psalm 150, then of course there are issues. It kind of reminds me of the people who say "Jesus" or "Lord" almost as if it is a comma or semicolon separating every phrase in public prayer.... it's nothing more than a punctuation mark, even though they may have adopted such a practice thinking they had to in order to pray in the name of the Lord.

Like so much Christian expression, it depends upon the person saying it. If it becomes a vain repetition then it is meaningless. If the person says it genuinely says it thoughtfully then, well...Praise the Lord! Just saying the phrase is not praising the Lord but saying it and meaning it is, I believe, quite correct for you are then praising or thanking God for something specific.

Isn't "Praise the Lord" a command? or an exhortation?
So that when your friend cries out "Praise the Lord", he is really asking you to declare God's mighty acts. He hasn't really praised him properly himself until he speaks to others what it is that God has done.
That is the way I see it.
Oh that [men] would praise the LORD [for] his goodness, and [for] his wonderful works to the children of men!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back