Psalm 16:10, 30:3 and 16:10 purely prophetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce475

Puritan Board Freshman
Some bible study materials that I'm using now states that Ps 16:10, Ps 118:17 and Ps 30:3 are all prophetic of the resurrection of Christ.

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Psa 118:17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.

Psa 30:3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Are these scriptures typological or prophetic? Does they apply solely to Christ, or is Christ merely an examplar? Help is much appreciated.

I think the truth is mainly typological; David may well have hoped in various helps for himself; however, I do believe that he understood his own role as a special type. I think he uttered some of his statements with a keen awareness that he was a pale imitation of the Lord he expected, Ps.100:1.

In the first instance, Peter quotes (Acts 2:27) Ps. 16:10, and interprets:
"Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. For David did not ascend into the heavens...
Ps.118 is also powerfully Messianic; for an indisputable example, witness Peter again (Acts 4:11) quoting v17:
Let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead--by him this man is standing before you well. This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.
Ps.30:3 certainly fits into the sort of use the New Testament makes of the other passages like it. The principle seems to be, that if there is a previous referent by the Psalmist (some past deliverance) or an earthly hope, it is superseded by a greater application in the case of Christ. OT figures, by typological experiences, are taught to expect a fuller, more perfect, higher, better fulfillment in the Christ to come.

So, while David was, and still is, hoping for the resurrection where God will "undo" the decay of his flesh (yea, indeed, even his bones have decayed), as though it never had been; in the case of the ideal Man, the Representative or Son of Man, the true King of Israel--God actually answers this expectation in such a way as to epitomize the words of David. A more ideal application can scarcely be imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back