Psalm 94:1: God's names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
An Example of God's name or at least one that is said to be God's name:

El Shaddai - God Almighty

Here in Psalm 94 you have: אֵל־נְקָמֹות

Is this to be considered a name of God (El Neqamah - God of Vengeance)? I have never seen it described as His name. Of course His names are just attributes unless it is His name: Jehovah/Yahweh.

Not a popular name of God with the seeker-sensitive crowd, but I don't see why it would NOT be considered one of His names.

(94a from the Book of Psalms for Singing is quite a psalm to sing...it definitely powerfully demonstrates the difference between psalter singing and singing the happy-clappy!)

One of my elders asked me yesturday at prayer meeting, and I was like: uh, i think it would be, but i've never heard it before. :)

The seeker-sensitive thing was in my mind while thinking of it.

One of my elders asked me yesturday at prayer meeting, and I was like: uh, i think it would be, but i've never heard it before. :)

The seeker-sensitive thing was in my mind while thinking of it.

Just meditating on a little more, isn't it appropriate? What PALTRY vengeances we human worms exact on each other, and for minuscule offenses in the grand scheme of things. God ALONE exacts true vengeance, and God alone has the right to - and is the only one truly able to. What is the nature of our petty disagreements, and the magnitude of the offenses, really, compared to the violence done to God's honor and name when He is rebelled against? He alone may rightly exact vengeance... "Vengeance is mine, saith the LORD".

Good point, Andrew.

How important and appropriate a reminder to Christians that one of God's Names should embody His zeal for perfect justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back