Psalm singing: does your church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Chris,

As seen in another thread, cyber discussions can easily go awry. I accept your apology. I was not in any way trying to be "elitist" or "snobbish" as you describe. I was attempting to state briefly why my church practices exclusive psalmody, and I was not addressing you at all. I apologize if my wording came across arrogantly. I was simply trying to state a fact.

Your denomination and mine do not hold to the same directory for worship and even our confessions of faith are different. It is a sad thing that they are close and yet there are differences, but the differences that exist are substantial. I pray that Reformed Christians, indeed all Christians, may one day be united in one spirit and in one body, worshipping God together in spirit and in truth.

May the grace of God be with you, brother. Peace.

Indeed cyber discussions are more ambiguous and impersonal and our words tend to be read with different emphasis than intended. I do not see you as an elitist or a snobbish person. I appreciate the knowledge and grace you share with us here. As I mentioned in reply to crhoades' post my intent was not to turn this into another EP debate. My church will declare that they abide by the WCF and the PCA BCO. The debates occur over how true or untrue such a statement is. So in attempt to point out that your "proof" is in itself what the debate is about, in haste I simply copied your initial response and turned it around not scrutinizing the details about the directory of worship and BCO. I would take any approach to stating a fact to be a loaded statement and elitist in tone. I could say (and in fact I did so yesterday :( ), that "my church is a reformed church and and therefore we baptize infant children." That may be a stated fact, but a Baptist could take that as arrogant since he considers his Baptist church to be a Reformed church as well. Herein lies the debate. That is how I read your post and will read posts like it. Unfortunately the discussion got a bit offensive.

I do tend to get abrasive when it comes to the divisions with Confessional Presbyterianism. Unity and ecumenism is to be sought, certainly within Presbyterianism. In our unity the world will know Jesus is God's Son (John 17:23). The many divisions among WCF supporting churches is embarrassing. A lot of it can probably be attributed to arrogance. So although you were not trying to be arrogant, I read you that way and I apologize. I should have known better considering who it was I was responding to.

Grace and peace to you as well.

:handshake:

Chris, if you are interested in practicing scriptural psalmody I know there is an APC church in Bordentown, NJ. Members from this church come to our monthly Psalm Sing. Btw, I was in Princeton recently and bumped into who I think was the Ministress of Nassau Presbyterian church. I told her I was from New Hope; she said that she loved the town (if you've lived in Princeton long enough you probably know the reputation NH has). I had no reply.

Originally posted by Peter
Chris, if you are interested in practicing scriptural psalmody I know there is an APC church in Bordentown, NJ. Members from this church come to our monthly Psalm Sing. Btw, I was in Princeton recently and bumped into who I think was the Ministress of Nassau Presbyterian church. I told her I was from New Hope; she said that she loved the town (if you've lived in Princeton long enough you probably know the reputation NH has). I had no reply.

I wasn't aware of such a church. Is it only a three church denomination? I really find that puzzling, but I don't want to digress any more than I have.

It is actually only 20 minutes away from where I live which is the distance we traveled to our old non-confessional church for 4 years. My family just became members of our church two weeks ago and are looking forwards to getting more and more involved with our church. I will not break fellowship over the issue - I have yet to be convinced by the arguments and my conscience has not been convicted over the matter. As I said, I will support my church, EP or not.

I know exactly what you mean about New Hope. I have no doubt that she likes the town. My wife really likes the shops. I will say it is beautiful though. The town must have many great decorators in the area ;)

I dont know much about the APC except what I've read on their website. It appears the particular niche of presbyterianism they cater to is the 1789 American flavored old school variety. They retain certain paleo-presbyterian views such as close communion and EP but have an American view of civil govt. I think I heard they nearly merged w/ the RPCNA. And actually my minister is supposed to have dinner with one of there members/officers tonight. I dont want to push you to break w/ your new church but I think the APC congregation might be worth investigating.

I live a couple miles north on 29 from the town but one of the things that most frustrates me is trying to get through traffic (vehicular and human) on a nice day on account of all the tourists. I dont see why they all come. Most of the stores are junk shops or freak shops. Solebury is indeed a beautiful area but why dont they go to a park then! No offense to your wife :D

Just fyi, the American Presbyterian Church is premillennial in its eschatology and holds to complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages. :2cents:

[Edited on 1-6-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by Peter

Has anyone visited the Pompton Plains, NJ FRC?

We sang a couple of Psalms last Sabbath. And of course we sang a Hymn and Praise God from whom all blessings flow. We are singing the Psalms weekly.

I'm still trying to get my church to sing Psalms. Right now, we only have Psalm 23 in our hymnal, so I request for it to be sung with some frequency.

My pastor has said that he wants to get everyone singing Psalms. But he's moving slower than I would like.
:(

Not hardly at all...it saddens me. I'm not EP by ANY stretch of the imagination (previous threads failed to convince me scripturally). Nevertheless, I will burn in the flames of perdition itself before I will allow "I come to the garden" or other such drivel to be sung at our church. :banghead:

:up:
The Trinity Psalter was made just for the purpose of getting more churches to sing psalms or more psalms in the worship services. My pastor was on the committee that put it together. That experience I expect helped when we went to put together our church's version of the Scottish psalter, The Comprehensive Psalter.
Originally posted by joshua
I am hopeful that my church will begin singing Psalms from the Psalter soon. Not exclusively, however, nonetheless, sung. One of my elders was over to the house fellowshipping and I showed him the Trinity Psalter, and he said he would like for the church to have some, so he took it with him to the elder's meeting. Good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back