Psalms sang to familiar hymn tunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderkins

Puritan Board Freshman
So I just discovered the joy of singing psalms. I'm not on board with the exclusive part. But I also don't see a good reason not to do any. And since I lead songs in worship, I get to pick. So two weeks ago I started introducing my church to the psalms and the feedback has been great.

I am using the blue book of psalms for worship. My goal, to make it easier to learn is to find as many as I can set to familiar hymns, and start doing at least one per week. This is a church that has never done psalm singing as far as I know.

So far we've done:
96a set to All Hail The Power of Jesus Name
And
51a set to Rock of Ages

Does anyone know of others?

Look up 1650 Psalter App

You can set each one to a tune (Mostly all is Common Meter - the meter of Amazing Grace). You can look on the app and go to Tunes. And you can listen to all the tunes and find the ones you are familiar with. Then you take that tune and sing any of the psalms with it.

Look up 1650 Psalter App

You can set each one to a tune (Mostly all is Common Meter - the meter of Amazing Grace). You can look on the app and go to Tunes. And you can listen to all the tunes and find the ones you are familiar with. Then you take that tune and sing any of the psalms with it.
Ok thank you. I was feeling quite lost on how to continue. I kind of just dove in and now I'm trying to learn hundreds of new songs.

The Book of Psalms for Worship also has an app that will play all the tunes for you with the sheet music. Best $10 I'd ever spent until our denomination developed an app for our own Trinity Psalter Hymnal!

Most psalms have a recommended (sometimes more than one) tune. Some psalms are just so closely linked to certain tunes such as Psalm 23 to Crimmond and Psalm 130 to Martyrdom.
It is best to try find a tune that suits the feel of the psalm rather than just choosing any tune for any psalm. St Kilda has been found to work well with Psalm 51. But as far as same-meter hymn tunes go I would say the same principle should apply.
I do enjoy a bit of precenting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back