Pslams applicable to the Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
Many Psalms have the following themes:

-Im an ethical guy, so please bless me
-Im an ethical guy, so please bless me mainly in the context of destroying my enemies

What do we do with this in our own Christian lives?

Pslams not applicable. Psalms applicable. :pilgrim:

One eye on David, one eye on Christ.

When making application of the Psalms to those regenerate men who were born of Adam, we want to understand it as a relative righteousness (i.e. not one for merit of salvation, but those marks of one who has been regenerated, such that their conversation in life is markedly different from the world, and from their enemies). The Psalmist is not saying "I am ethical; therefore bless me." We should understand it, rather -in line with the rest of the Scripture, and the analogy of Scripture- "I am thine; save me," (Ps. 119.94). How is it that I can say "I am thine"? Well, Lord, consider these marks: I hate every false way (even, and especially when I'm guilty of one or the other). I do not run in the way of sin (though I may fall on occasion). I have a mind toward all thy commandments (though I am imperfect in obedience). So on, so forth. "These are marks of being Thine, O Lord. So, for Thy Name's sake, bless me! For Thy Name's sake, destroy mine enemies! I say with my father Jacob, I will not let Thee go until Thou dost bless me!"

When making application of the Psalms and meditating upon Christ, it is no relative righteousness, but a perfect righteousness, and yet -at the same time- we would never apply those passage of sinfulness personally to Christ, except insofar as He Who knew no sin became sin for us.

One of the meditations constant in my own heart when I read the Psalms is how, mostly, my enemies are my own sins, and how I would pray the Lord would bring them down. There is also the world and the devil. Then there are God's enemies who I would pray to be brought down, or for Him to rule in the midst of (Psalm 110.2, that is make them from enemies to friends).

Also, historically we would understand David's imprecations against His enemies would be a righteous request since He was the Lord's anointed, and thus his enemies, as the Lord's appointed magistrate, would be the Lord's enemies. As a type of Christ, this applies to Him supremely as well. Such is not the same in our circumstances, and we must be careful to understand that sometimes our own enemies are not necessarily God's enemies. In fact, we are so wayward at times, who we perceive to be enemies may very well be the only ones who love us enough to stop us on our way to destruction.

I view the Psalmist's voice in the Psalms as being the voice of Christ the Head, and that of his righteous church in union with him. David actually melts away and the author of the Psalms takes the stage. I believe that's the way they're to be viewed and read. Doing so is revolutionary to the Christian life, and would be to all the church if it understood this and recovered the practice of meditating on them and singing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back