Public school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiago DO

Puritan Board Freshman
Right now I'm facing an important decision in my life. I've been reading some posts on the board about this topic, but I'm not sure yet.

I want to become a public school teacher.

Why?

We are salt and light (Mt 5:13-16), thus, there are 2 possibilities:

1. There IS salt and light in public schools.
2. There is NOT salt and light in public schools.

In this sense, I want to serve our Lord by taking option 1. Additionally, God gave me the skills to do it excellently.
---
If you think the above reasoning has flaws, feel free to correct me.
---

But, I still have a question.

Does the topic I teach could be a stumbling block for someone's salvation?

I mean, am I introducing "distraction" with what I teach, making them knowledge seekers instead of repented sinners In need of grace?
---

Please help me, I really want to do everything for God's glory.

Thank you so much.

I want to be salt and light as well. However, that doesn't mean I am evangelizing. Nor do I think we are all called to do that. It is a job that requires to me to teach my content first and foremost. I think I need to be, or learn to be anyway, a good teacher before I witness. What a shame I think it would be for a teacher to be zealous but without knowledge of the craft.
I just await for opportunities to share what I believe and am not closested about being a Christian in a very liberal profession.

I am not sure what you mean by stumbling block to salvation...what do you plan on teaching?

I'm a teacher at a private Christian school. The vast majority of students and staff are unconverted, and one has more freedom to share the gospel. Private schools are mission fields too. Just a thought. Do public schools in Colombia still require one to pass a test on Roman Catholic doctrine? My mother went to school in Colombia, but that was a fair while ago. I agree with what Trent said that being an effective teacher is the highest priority. One can't be salt and light if one is a terrible teacher. I would also add that teaching is very frustrating, and 80% of being a good teacher is being able to be gracious to children that disrespect you day after day. Not all kids do that, but enough do to make it seriously frustrating, and some kids are good at avoiding discipline or making friends with the admins, so it's not always the case that you can simply punish them for their disrespect.

This is the critical point:

What are we called then? And how do evangelizing and witnessing differ?
Evangelism refers to an office and a calling. Witnessing is basically sharing the gospel as a layman.
I don't think we are called to be like street preachers. We need to be subtle because depending on the setting being overt can be seen as obnoxious and quite possibly a hindrance.

I am a teacher.

The most influential public Christian of the 20th century was CS Lewis. He never once "shared the Roman Road" with his students.

Teach truth. Perfect the art of asking questions. Get the student to come to the truth by that means. It's non-threatening and For what it's worth, they actually retain more that way.

If you can do your job well and read/review half as many books as Jacob does for us, then please go into teaching.

And be very good at what you do. And if you can't be super good, at least be useful. I volunteered for traffic duty years ago and lunch duty every day when I didn't have to. That goes a long way.

Okay, I was bored at lunch time and wanted to talk with my fellow teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back