Pulpit Commentary. Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
I have a chance to purchase the entire Pulpit Commentary series, brand new, for $100. However, I do not know anything about this series. Is it worth taking up the room in my library coming in at 23 volumes?
What is their theological bent? When was it written?
Thanks

I think its a mid-20th-cent production. It culls quotes mostly, from a variety of preachers, past and "present" (i.e. mid 20th). It offers outlines of chapters and texts (if I recall; its been a while since I saw the set in a library).

If you have $100 to spare, 23 vols might look nice on your shelf. However, I would think I could spend that money on just a couple of good resources that I would use more often. :2cents:

I have a chance to purchase the entire Pulpit Commentary series, brand new, for $100. However, I do not know anything about this series. Is it worth taking up the room in my library coming in at 23 volumes?
What is their theological bent? When was it written?
Thanks

This was one of the commentaries I grew up reading in my grandpa's study. It's pretty good. It gives answers from both the calvinistic and arminian perspectives to key passages. There is a lot of good info in it. I am not sure about eschatology in it. However, I am sure it's probably not dispensational because my grandpa was amillennial and opposed to dispensationalism and he used those commentaries sometimes to help with sermon prep. He was a calvinistic southern baptist pastor of a small town first baptist church in Oklahoma.

It would depend on what you have already. I would say that if you have 3-4 excellent commentaries already on each individual book, then go for it. But if you don't have that now, then wait. The PC is not the best commentary on any book of the Bible, but it is a fairly solid resource that would be a good supplement. I have several posts on commentaries here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back