Puppy Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
My wife and I decided to get a puppy a few months back and were shocked at how expensive puppies are now. Anyway, we put our name on a list with a breeder of Olde English Bulldogges. Anyone else buy a puppy recently or have experience with Olde English Bulldogges?

My wife and I decided to get a puppy a few months back and were shocked at how expensive puppies are now. Anyway, we put our name on a list with a breeder of Olde English Bulldogges. Anyone else buy a puppy recently or have experience with Olde English Bulldogges?

Are you looking to finance or something? :)

Seriously, I've heard they often have joint and nasal probs from those that have had them.

Are you looking to finance or something? :)

Seriously, I've heard they often have joint and nasal probs from those that have had them.
Sorry Zack, not the English Bulldog but the Olde English Bulldogg. Two different breeds.

So they have less nasal problems? Less smashed in face? They are cute but, poor things....
Pit Bull, Bull Mastiff, American Bull dog and English Bulldog were used to re-create the modern "Olde" English. These breeds were introduced to correct some of the problems we see in modern Bulldogs. A friend of mine has two and they are very athletic, very friendly dogs.

My wife and I raise Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, so our house is quite literally like a scene out of 101 Dalmatians meets Lady and the Tramp every day. Our pups are expensive but it's not cheap to breed this level of cuteness and affectionate character. After three years we are just starting to turn a profit, though we really do it because of the joy our dogs bring people. My wife hand picks the families they go to from a massive waiting list; in some cases, they light up the life of a newly widowed retiree, or a family with a child with Down's syndrome, and it is very rewarding to get emails and pictures from the pups we have sent out into the world (many of whom enjoy a far better standard of living than we do!). Check out our website at Stcolmescavaliers.com. (And yes, I know that there is something weird about promoting Cavaliers on a Puritan site; what can I say - King Charles II had better taste in dogs than in worship practices) PXON6562.JPG

There is absolutely no better dog than a Cavalier. I’ve got a Blenheim girl named Heidi and she’s a sweetheart. But they all are. She is much less scary than her picture and she doesn’t really look like an alien dog at all. When I take her to the Home Depot I don’t bother with the mask because no one even notices me—they zoom in on Heidi and of course she loves it.

My daughter bought a Welsh Pembroke Corgi last October. "Mr. Darcy" is now 7 months old and is a handful. He also set her back nearly $1800. mrdarcythecorgi.jpg

I have some "rescues" that any of you are welcome too. You would not brag about them to friends. You might complain about them to friends. They grow on you though.

They fit in here. Not especially refined.

Regardless, the cheapest part of any animal is the purchase.

@JM I have utter contempt for people who buy expensive dogs from breeders/puppy mills.
Thanks for letting me know how you feel @Edward I was on pins and needles wondering and just so we are clear I have utter contempt for people riding high horses lol

Breeders and puppy mills should not be lumped together and just an FYI mutts in my area are selling for (hold on to something) $1700 bucks. The cheapest puppy was a shepherd, lab, collie and "mastiff" mix. I think they were guessing. I picked a breeder based on their experience, insistence on health as well as form and the many recommendations.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

You people are high class. I just have mangy mutts.
Nah, mutts are pricy in my neck of the woods and the wait list to adopt from a shelter is very long with few puppies to choose from. Keep in mind walking a dog is a legit reason to be outside in the Soviet Republic of Ontario so people have been driving the prices up during lockdown.

Peace

My family got a Westie maybe 13 years ago, when I was in high school. She died last year, rather an early death for her breed. I fear it's because after I moved out she didn't get the necessary exercise.

I remember she was $750 (CAD) when we got her at eight weeks old. Great dog. I'd not hesitate for a moment to recommend a Westie. Mine was my best friend for years, and a tough little rodent-killing machine.

Love how nowadays it’s called adoption. Now it’s frowned on to call it dog ownership. I love my dogs but I’m not a “dog-mommie” and I don’t have “fur babies”. Whew, glad to get that off my chest.:)

My area it's $350.

Whoah. We just adopted a dog from a shelter this year and it cost $60 (and she'd been spayed, vaccinated, de-wormed, and chipped).

We went with a young adult so we weren't in the chewing stage. It turned out she wasn't house-trained but she learned within a day that we were going to regularly let her outdoors. She had been abused but she's adjusted really, really well, is very smart, and plays really well with the kids. She does have isolation anxiety but we're working through that.

I looked at Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and definitely considered them, but the cost was just too much for me to justify, personally.

There are tons of dogs at the shelters around here, sadly. Mostly pit bull.

Exactly. That's what we've found in many places. One must be very careful with what one gets from a dog pound.
I had a pit bull given to me years ago. Great dog, loved people, didn't like other animals at all. She ended up with mange so we euthanize her at the recommendation of our vet.

I bought my ol' girl at a flea market in the South for $30. She was just a little blob then, barely 8 weeks. Now she is a 90 lb golden bear about to hit twelve years, which she is doing great for her breed's life expectancy. She probably has one good year left in her, Lord willing.

Our girl is a Golden Pyrenees—a Golden Retriever and Great Pyrenees mix. She has had a good life roaming around the U.S. and the CO Rocky Mountains with us on our backcountry mountain trips.

The picture is of her at The Great Sand Dunes Nation Park in CO. I love how the first light of the day reflects on her golden coat.

AttheDunes.jpg

As we are about to have our first child and our ol'girl doesn't have much longer, we are looking to adopt another one soon. We want our child to grow up with a dog.

We got a bichon for christmas for about 1500, I believe. That breed in particular since my son is allergic to some breeds. She pretty much does not shed at all. She is also a vindictive urinator.

My nephew got a dog from the Dallas pound, er, animal shelter. Adoption fee is between $200 and $250.
The Dallas pound used to be a mis-managed hell-hole. I think it has gotten better. We used Second Chance in Plano; they tend to get the best dogs from local kill shelters and hold them until they can be adopted. Plano shelter used to be full of pit bulls. Looks like they have some that aren't these days. Got a cat from them once. Fees apparently cap out at $80. Richardson was a little better. Some of the other rescue organizations seem to have good animals.

Our Labradoodle just had a litter of 11 a week and a half ago. This is the second and last time we are going to breed her. We had 2 buyers before they were even born and have sold 7 as of today. We crossed our Ruby red with a red poodle so all the puppies are red. The first litter of 9 we bread her with a white labradoodle and we got a variety of colors and coats. This litter is selling for $2,000 and the last litter went for $700 to $1,200. It cost $800 to breed her this time, and the breeder has a puppy farm that lets us use her site to sell the puppies. That was well worth the $800 we spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back