Puppy Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I decided to get a puppy a few months back and were shocked at how expensive puppies are now. Anyway, we put our name on a list with a breeder of Olde English Bulldogges. Anyone else buy a puppy recently or have experience with Olde English Bulldogges?
We bought our Irish Terrier 8 years ago for $750. When you want a specific breed you have to be prepared to shell out for it.

Our Labradoodle just had a litter of 11 a week and a half ago. This is the second and last time we are going to breed her. We had 2 buyers before they were even born and have sold 7 as of today. We crossed our Ruby red with a red poodle so all the puppies are red. The first litter of 9 we bread her with a white labradoodle and we got a variety of colors and coats. This litter is selling for $2,000 and the last litter went for $700 to $1,200. It cost $800 to breed her this time, and the breeder has a puppy farm that lets us use her site to sell the puppies. That was well worth the $800 we spent.

I looked at this “sanctuary” and it’s a puppy mill for sure. And breeding wolf-dog hybrids is just plain stupid. There are many good backyard breeders who have done their homework and have put in the effort and expense to produce sound dogs in a humane environment but there are many terrible breeders who have no interest in the dogs other than to make a buck. The females basically live in sheltered wire cages their entire reproductive lives. In my area it’s mostly Amish and even some Mennonites who are known for this. They consider the dogs to be nothing more than livestock. It’s a very lucrative trade.

True. My wife wanted specific traits associated with bulldogs so yes, we have to pay for them.
I grew up with Irish Terriers and can't imagine a better breed for children. Even though he's annoying, if you figure he lives for 12 years the cost per year for his purchase isn't that bad.

The Dallas pound used to be a mis-managed hell-hole. I think it has gotten better. We used Second Chance in Plano; they tend to get the best dogs from local kill shelters and hold them until they can be adopted. Plano shelter used to be full of pit bulls. Looks like they have some that aren't these days. Got a cat from them once. Fees apparently cap out at $80. Richardson was a little better. Some of the other rescue organizations seem to have good animals.
Maybe it was some other shelter or means. I just assumed Dallas since that's here. Couple hundred sounds a lot for my nephew.

Maybe it was some other shelter or means. I just assumed Dallas since that's here.
About 10 years ago the head of the Dallas shelter was charged with Felony animal cruelty. Looks like a new guy came in about 3 years ago and finally got the operation cleaned up. But he moved on a few weeks ago, so we'll see if what he did sticks, or if it is turned back over to someone whose only qualification is a political connection. Normal adoption fees in Dallas are $45 for dogs, $15 for cats, but I don't know if that is all-inclusive. And they currently have a special where the adoption fee is waived.

Tons of dogs in shelters that need a home and they are the best! And they cost way less. I'm a poet and didn't know it!

@JM I have utter contempt for people who buy expensive dogs from breeders/puppy mills.
Edward, I sure hope your comment was in jest. If not, you sure are easy to offend. My daughter looked at Corgi rescue organizations when she decided she wanted a dog from that breed. Unfortunately, Corgis are in such high demand that they seldom wind up in rescues. The only Corgi rescue in our area functions more as a Corgi club because they have no Corgis! So, my daughter started to research breeders. I helped her. We weeded out the sketchy breeders that functioned more as puppy mills. We found a breeder in Georgia who breeds champion Corgis and limits each mother to two litters before "retiring" them. We spoke to a half dozen clients who purchased their Corgis from this breeder. My daughter's puppy came with a one year health guarantee and access to a private website where the breeder's other clients are able to interact. If this is what you have contempt for then you really should consider revising your incendiary comment.

You poor, poor deluded people.

Every intelligent person knows that cats are far superior to dogs. Dogs are so needy and obsequious. Cats, on the other hand, regard you as their employee (if they pay any regard to you at all). (The old joke: dogs have masters, cats have staff.)

Cats are so low maintenance that you are hardly aware they're around. The far superior animal, I'm telling you.

(It is rather weird, though, that there are no housecats in the Bible. What was WRONG with those people?)

Leave the valley of dog ownership and raise yourselves up to the sunny uplands of being a cat's utter slave!)

[Note: no animals were injured during the manufacture of this post.]

It's much cheaper to get a puppy from a rescue or a shelter! You may not get a purebred...but mixed breed doggos are just as lovable and often have better health outcomes!

Edited to add: apologies if my use of the word "doggos" was triggering to anyone.

Last edited:
Edward, I sure hope your comment was in jest. If not, you sure are easy to offend. My daughter looked at Corgi rescue organizations when she decided she wanted a dog from that breed. Unfortunately, Corgis are in such high demand that they seldom wind up in rescues. The only Corgi rescue in our area functions more as a Corgi club because they have no Corgis! So, my daughter started to research breeders. I helped her. We weeded out the sketchy breeders that functioned more as puppy mills. We found a breeder in Georgia who breeds champion Corgis and limits each mother to two litters before "retiring" them. We spoke to a half dozen clients who purchased their Corgis from this breeder. My daughter's puppy came with a one year health guarantee and access to a private website where the breeder's other clients are able to interact. If this is what you have contempt for then you really should consider revising your incendiary comment.
Hopefully he just means unscrupulous breeders and backyard breeders. It's good that your daughter did research. A lot of people don't do this and get dogs from bad breeders and puppy mills, unfortunately!

Every intelligent person knows that cats are far superior to dogs. Dogs are so needy and obsequious. Cats, on the other hand, regard you as their employee (if they pay any regard to you at all). (The old joke: dogs have masters, cats have staff.)

Cats are so low maintenance that you are hardly aware they're around. The far superior animal, I'm telling you.

(It is rather weird, though, that there are no housecats in the Bible. What was WRONG with those people?)

Leave the valley of dog ownership and raise yourselves up to the sunny uplands of being a cat's utter slave!)

My dog sometimes thinks he's a cat.

Nah, mutts are pricy in my neck of the woods and the wait list to adopt from a shelter is very long with few puppies to choose from. Keep in mind walking a dog is a legit reason to be outside in the Soviet Republic of Ontario so people have been driving the prices up during lockdown.

Peace
eh puppies are overrated, in my opinion. Adult dogs can learn just as well, and you don't have to deal with puppy behaviors! But to each their own!

It's much cheaper to get a puppy from a rescue or a shelter! You may not get a purebred...but mixed breed doggos are just as lovable and often have better health outcomes!
Just so you know, some of us at PB scruple at the word "doggo."

Last edited:

Don't they have parasites that control you?

And I will not refer to anyone here as a "dog mom" or "dog dad."
Our dogs sleep in bed with us every night, which we never allowed our children to do. It might be more accurate to call us "dog grandparents" since we get all the fun of cuddling and spoiling our fur babies but don't have to pay for them to go to college...
If researching a breeder, you should check that they are state licensed, if your state does that. Pennsylvania has a robust licensure program with which we are happy to comply (and we are also AKC approved). Make sure you visit and can see the mom and the dad dogs. Sadly, there are a lot of puppy mills out there that abuse dogs.

Our dogs sleep in bed with us every night, which we never allowed our children to do. It might be more accurate to call us "dog grandparents" since we get all the fun of cuddling and spoiling our fur babies but don't have to pay for them to go to college...
If researching a breeder, you should check that they are state licensed, if your state does that. Pennsylvania has a robust licensure program with which we are happy to comply (and we are also AKC approved). Make sure you visit and can see the mom and the dad dogs. Sadly, there are a lot of puppy mills out there that abuse dogs.
I know these are endearing terms and are not meant to be taken too seriously but I guess I’m reacting to the growing trend to forgo actual parenthood with all its difficulties and self-sacrificing expectations in favor of excessive devotion to a pet. I know quite a few childless-by-choice couples who exemplify this. I don’t think this is prevalent among believers.

And of course my pup sleeps in my bed. She’s a Cavalier and that’s her job, either there or on my lap.:p

Don't they have parasites that control you?

I read the piece carefully, and it explains that humans have lived with this parasite for many millennia now and that the risk, for most people, is minimal. Plus, it says that most people who contract the virus do so by eating undercooked meat, not through cats. So, it's a concern, but not a strong one. I'm very careful when cleaning my cat's litter box.

We are in the beginning stages of looking for a dog. One dog we looked at was $5,650. Didn't have to think too hard about that one.

Allergies are a complicating factor, limiting our options quite a bit.

We are in the beginning stages of looking for a dog. One dog we looked at was $5,650. Didn't have to think too hard about that one.

Allergies are a complicating factor, limiting our options quite a bit.
I'm not surprised at the price honestly. What type of dog are you looking for?

I'm not surprised at the price honestly. What type of dog are you looking for?

With our son's dog allergy, we are limiting ourselves to dogs considered easier on allergies. Schnauzer/poodle-mixes, other 'hypoallergenic' dogs. Other dogs he's been exposed to- a mountain cur, a pointer, and a boxer- have caused obvious issues.

Even still, we're going to have to get him some exposure to the dog before bringing it home in case it causes problems, too. My mom's Yorkie was always OK for him.

With our son's dog allergy, we are limiting ourselves to dogs considered easier on allergies. Schnauzer/poodle-mixes, other 'hypoallergenic' dogs. Other dogs he's been exposed to- a mountain cur, a pointer, and a boxer- have caused obvious issues.

Even still, we're going to have to get him some exposure to the dog before bringing it home in case it causes problems, too. My mom's Yorkie was always OK for him.
Terriers are a good bet for someone with allergies. Can't go wrong with a Westie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back