Puritan authors who wrote about the Holy Spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relztrah

Puritan Board Freshman
Are there any Puritans who wrote specifically about the Holy Spirit: his gifts, fruit, manifestations, activity in the church and individual believers? I'm not looking for evidence to support a cessationist or continuationist position, just what they believed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are there any Puritans who wrote specifically about the Holy Spirit: his gifts, fruit, manifestations, activity in the church and individual believers? I'm not looking for evidence to support a cessationist or continuationist position, just what they believed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
As mentioned above, Owen is the obvious choice. Thomas Goodwin wrote quite a bit about the Spirit, in particular, volume six. Sibbes also had quite a bit to say about the Spirit's work in the life of the believer.

Are you open to treatises beyond the Puritans?

Lots! Owen, Smeaton, Sibbes, Jacomb, Boston, Griffin, Flavel, Charnock, Goodwin.

Even others like: Warfield, Ryle, Murray, Thornwell, Buchanan

Thanks to all. Our church is considering a Puritan reading group and my thought is that the Holy Spirit is often overlooked in our study. I'll follow up with the suggestions made here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back