Puritan Commentaries On Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
I am going to start preaching through Daniel in May and I am starting to do some preliminary research and getting some commentaries together.

I have Duguid, Harman, Ferguson, Olyott, and obviously Calvin and Henry on Daniel, but am looking for any Puritan commentaries that might be available online.

Thanks!

On the first, Spurgeon is not complementary (in his witty way) of those Puritan works he notes in his Commenting and Commentaries, and the only one he notes without such he simply quotes anothers estimation, and that is Daniel Willet's commentary. DTS has a copy scanned in their online rare books. Turpin Library - Rare Books Collection
On the second, there is a copy of Young at abebooks.com but it is in Australia and postage pushes it to about $33.

recommend you get a copy of Spurgeon's Commenting & Commentaries which will help
you as a guide & general reference work for all Pre-20th Century Commentaries basically
all the Best ones, personally youve got Calvin, Poole & Henry who fleshed out Pooles
Comments. I'd also recommend Albert Barnes Notes as they are Historicist just like the
Westminster Documents (Confession & like) try to get the Baker Edition with the
extended 87 page Introduction which gives a Sound Defence of the Books Authenticity.
will also give an explanation of the Historicist Year/Day Rule in regards to Prophetic
Interpretation & give an extended Defence of the View that the "Bishop" of Rome is
the Little Horn of Daniel Chapter 7 at the close of that Chapter.*****

The Puritans themselves thought that Daniel Brightman's commentary on Daniel, along with Joseph Mede (whom they called "a master of apocolyptic mysteries") were the best. But unless google.com/books has them you're not likely to find them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back