Puritan Funeral Sermons

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Is there a compilation somewhere of Puritan funeral sermons (as there is concerning Puritan farewell sermons from the Great Ejection) or are they best found among individual Puritan works?

Yes! Everyone should have this book in their library:

A Guide To The Puritans (http://cvbbs.com/inventory.php?targ...keyword=&author_keyword=&sort_by=&bookid=1145)

The guy took all the Puritan literature and indexed it by verse and topic. One of the other sections is sermons for special occasions and funerals are listed there.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Is there a compilation somewhere of Puritan funeral sermons (as there is concerning Puritan farewell sermons from the Great Ejection) or are they best found among individual Puritan works?

Rutherford, one of the Scottish Commissioners, held the view that there was no more occasion for an act of worship at a man's leaving the world, than at his entering it.
Davies, Horton. The Worship of the English Puritans.p. 45-46.

Leave it up to Rutherford! :lol:

Seriously, I don't know of any compilations Andrew. :pilgrim:

There was a large volume of Puritan funeral sermons published in the 17th century called "The House of Mourning." It has never been reprinted that I know of. It's a large folio. It is a combination of sermons the Puritans preached at funerals, as well as funeral sermons preached at the funerals of Puritan preachers.

Don Kistler:scholar:

Originally posted by BuddyOfDavidClarkson
Yes! Everyone should have this book in their library:

A Guide To The Puritans (http://cvbbs.com/inventory.php?targ...keyword=&author_keyword=&sort_by=&bookid=1145)

The guy took all the Puritan literature and indexed it by verse and topic. One of the other sections is sermons for special occasions and funerals are listed there.

Thanks. I have this book and it does not contain a compilation of Puritan funeral sermons. It is a reference book which lists authors, titles, topics and verses, and it has a very useful chapter on funeral sermons and bibliography, but it is an index rather a compilation. Nevertheless, I agree it is a great book and well worth having.

[Edited on 7-10-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by Don Kistler
There was a large volume of Puritan funeral sermons published in the 17th century called "The House of Mourning." It has never been reprinted that I know of. It's a large folio. It is a combination of sermons the Puritans preached at funerals, as well as funeral sermons preached at the funerals of Puritan preachers.

Don Kistler:scholar:

Thanks for this tip. That is helpful to know. It would certainly be a blessing if this work could be reprinted.

I found this listing, perhaps this is the book you have in mind?

FEATLY, Daniel, & others.
The house of mourning: furnished with directions for, preparations to, meditations of, consolations at the hour of death... Lond. Dawson. 1660.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Rutherford, one of the Scottish Commissioners, held the view that there was no more occasion for an act of worship at a man's leaving the world, than at his entering it.
Davies, Horton. The Worship of the English Puritans.p. 45-46.

Leave it up to Rutherford! :lol:

Seriously, I don't know of any compilations Andrew. :pilgrim:

That's ok, brother! :) Wise words from Rutherford.

Yes, the Puritans were noted for their opposition to the idolatries that accompanied Roman Catholic and Anglican funerals in their day, but they also allowed that the occasion of a funeral certainly provides grounds for godly encouragement to look to Christ and be mindful of our mortality.

Westminster Directory of Public Worship:

Concerning Burial of the Dead.

WHEN any person departeth this life, let the dead body, upon the day of burial, be decently attended from the house to the place appointed for publick burial, and there immediately interred, without any ceremony.

And because the custom of kneeling down, and praying by or towards the dead corpse, and other such usages, in the place where it lies before it be carried to burial, are superstitious; and for that praying, reading, and singing, both in going to and at the grave, have been grossly abused, are no way beneficial to the dead, and have proved many ways hurtful to the living; therefore let all such things be laid aside.

Howbeit, we judge it very convenient, that the Christian friends, which accompany the dead body to the place appointed for publick burial, do apply themselves to meditations and conferences suitable to the occasion; and that the minister, as upon other occasions, so at this time, if he be present, may put them in remembrance of their duty.

That this shall not extend to deny any civil respects or deferences at the burial, suitable to the rank and condition of the party deceased, while he was living.

If I remember correctly, the Early American Imprints Series that can be found at colleges and seminaries online in pdf format has a category of funeral sermons under the general heading of sermons (election day sermons are another category). Granted that these will be American but they may still be of interest to you.

Originally posted by crhoades
If I remember correctly, the Early American Imprints Series that can be found at colleges and seminaries online in pdf format has a category of funeral sermons under the general heading of sermons (election day sermons are another category). Granted that these will be American but they may still be of interest to you.

Yes, good tip -- thanks, Chris!

Most of the Puritan funeral sermons I've read had little to do with the person who had died. The funeral was an occasion to preach the gospel and extol Christ. Mention was made of the person's life, but Christ was the focus.

Regarding the American Imprint series, they are in PDF files, but you can only download one page at a time. The Early English Books Online series allows you to download an entire book all at once.

It wouldn't work to reprint the funeral sermons It's hard enough to sell these books as it is.

I believe a funeral sermon preached by Thomas Bainbridge was instrumental in the conversion of Thomas Goodwin.

Here are a few of the many funeral sermons that I have come across. They have been a blessing to me.

William Bates' Funeral Sermon for Thomas Manton

John Howe's Funeral Sermon for William Bates

John Howe's Funeral Sermon for Mrs. Richard Baxter

John Wesley's Funeral Sermon for George Whitfield

Thomas Manton's Funeral Sermon for Christopher Love, Vol. II of the Works of Thomas Manton

Some that I would like to read:

William Bates' Funeral Sermon for Richard Baxter

William Bates' Funeral Sermon for Thomas Jacomb

Thomas Jacomb's Funeral Sermon for Richard Vines

Thomas Jacomb's Funeral Sermon for Thomas Case

William Bates' Funeral Sermon for David Clarkson

David Clarkson's Funeral Sermon for John Owen

John Howe's Funeral Sermon for Matthew Mead

John Howe's Funeral Sermon for Peter Vink

John Reeve's Funeral Sermon for Thomas Brooks

Nicholas Bernard's Funeral Sermon for James Ussher

Daniel Mayo's Funeral Sermon for Edmund Calamy, III

Donald Cargill's Funeral Sermon for Richard Cameron (I don't know if this was ever published)

Simon Ashe's Funeral Sermon for Thomas Gataker

John Carstairs' Funeral Sermon for John Howie

John Ryther's Funeral Sermon for James Janeway

Funeral Sermons Preached by Increase Mather

Funeral Sermons for Matthew Henry by Daniel Williams, William Tong, Isaac Bates, and John Reynolds (Peter Withington and John Gardner's sermons were not published, I gather)

I would also like to read Daniel Defoe's Hymn to a Funeral Sermon and The Puritan funeral sermon in seventeenth century England by Selmer Neville Westby.

[Edited on 7-11-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I found this listing, perhaps this is the book you have in mind?

FEATLY, Daniel, & others.
The house of mourning: furnished with directions for, preparations to, meditations of, consolations at the hour of death... Lond. Dawson. 1660.

This work was published in 1640. The full title is: Threnoikos. = The house of mourning furnished with directions for preparations to meditations of consolations at the houre of death. Delivered in XLVII· sermons, preached at the funeralls of divers faithfull servants of Christ. By Daniel Featly Martin Day Richard Sibbs Thomas Taylor Doctors in Divinitie. And other reverend divines. {Including John Preston}

[Edited on 7-19-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I recently acquired Simeon Ashe's funeral sermon for Jeremiah Whitaker: Living Loves between Christ and the Dying Christian. Also, Thomas Watson's funeral sermon for Jacob Stock: The Holy Longing of the Saints, or the Saint's Desire to be with Christ. :pilgrim::up:

Of Jeremiah Whitaker, it was said that he "read all the epistles in the Greek Testament twice every fortnight."

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back