Puritan, William Polhill on God's all-sufficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
The Puritan, William Polhill, writes:

"GOD All-sufficient must needs be His own happiness; He hath His being from Himself, and His happiness is no other than His being radiant with all excellencies, and by intellectual and amatorious reflexions, turning back into the fruition of itself. His understanding hath prospect enough in His own infinite perfections: His will hath rest enough in His own infinite goodness; He needed not the pleasure of a world, who hath an eternal Son in His bosom to joy in, nor the breath of angels or men who hath an eternal Spirit of his own; He is the Great All, comprising all within Himself: nay, unless He were so, He could not be God. Had He let out no beams of His glory, or made no intelligent creatures to gather up and return them back to Himself, His happiness would have suffered no eclipse or diminution at all, His power would have been the same, if it had folded up all the possible worlds within its own arms, and poured forth never an one into being to be a monument of itself." - Edward Polhill - Works of Edward Polhill - A View of Some Divine Truths p1 - Reprinted by Soli Deo Gloria

An excellent quote, brother. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about The Works of Edward Polhill a bit recently. Do you know the precise book from which you got this quote?

Last edited:
I must add that he believed in a hypothetical universalism. I personally have yet to run across it. I know John Owen highly respected him and his works but disagreed with him on this one point. If I do come across it, I will share what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back