Puritan Works on counseling victims of crime

Discussion in 'Puritan Literature' started by Puritan Sailor, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puritan Sailor

Puritan Sailor Puritan Board Doctor

Does anyone know of any Puritan or Presbyterian works on counselling or encouraging victims of crime. I'm not talking about persecution, but victims of other crimes like physical assault, abuse, sexaul assault, theft, etc. I imagine there must be something like that. These aren't new crimes and I'm sure pastors back then had something to say to help victims out.

Please, I want specific works, not possible works. Don't post unless you actually know a good reference. Thanks!

:detective:

2. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

I'm interested in the topic, too

Thanks for the post.

3. Puritan Sailor

Bump... :detective:

4. BJClark

BJClark Puritan Board Doctor

Puritan Sailor;

I don't know of any Puritan or Presbyterian works on counseling, but I would recommend Scripture...it has something to say about those things..and it offers encouragement to those who have had those sins inflicted on them by others..

5. staythecourse

A little research bit no luck yet.

I went to Christian Classics Ethereal Library to start some research but came up short. I couldn't refine my search much. Maybe God will bless your efforts more.

6. Puritan Sailor

I know they may not use our terminology today like "victims of crime" and "couneling" but the evil deeds were still there. I just would like to see how they handled it pastorally. :detective:

7. Puritan Sailor

Come guys.... nothing???? Where's the Puritan Board Librarian????

8. staythecourse

I am enjoying getting current info

When the church and state were combined a government would operate similarly to that of a church in keeping things public rather than private. This is from about.com

I still have not found anything from puritan writers/pastors

9. Puritan Sailor

I suppose I will have to seek this out myself.... I thought there would be more info on this. :detective:

10. BJClark

BJClark Puritan Board Doctor

Puritan Sailor;

I asked my pastor, he said he thought there was something by Baxter, but he couldn't remember the name of it. So maybe look there?

Or maybe it's something for you to write???

11. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

Well Baxter does speak of counseling in the Reformed Pastor a little.

12. Puritan Sailor

Baxter has the Christian Directory. I don't remember if he deals with recovery from crimes in some way. But I'll take a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.