Puritanboard Arcade

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by Semper Fidelis, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Decided to install this for members to blow off some steam after a hard theological debate. Some of you 20 somethings don't realize that some of these games used to be the state of the art.

http://www.puritanboard.com/arcade.php

2. AV1611

AV1611 Puritan Board Senior

:lol:

3. Beth Ellen Nagle

Beth Ellen Nagle Puritan Board Senior

Good games! :D

4. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Hey; I remember Pong!

5. Semper Fidelis

Yeah, me too Chris. I remember seeing that for the first time around 1975 or 1976 and I thought it was amazing! We had an original Atari game console as well.

6. bradofshaw

bradofshaw Puritan Board Freshman

Must... resist... Tetris...

7. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

I spent many a quarter on Asteroids (the barmaid at the local bar/restaurant called it "Hemorrhoids") and Space Invaders. That and pool. Those were the last video games I ever played. Having flashbacks. . . .

8. LadyFlynt

LadyFlynt Puritan Board Doctor

okay, I was (just) born when some of those games were created (Pong)...but I did have an Atari up until I was about 12yrs old (about the time of the Nintendo debut). I also had Frogger on my Z100.

9. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist Dallas Cowboys' #1 Fan

I was never one of the chosen ones that had the Atari. My family had the knock-off Intellivision.

10. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

My grandfather had an electronics store and so you bet I had the first Atari Pong game. It was awesome. Here is a picture of an earlier "pong" version; my parents didn't love me enough to buy it for me though. Tsk.

[​IMG]

11. Beth Ellen Nagle

Yeah right... :lol:

12. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

Impressive, but what are the steering wheels for?:lol:

13. VictorBravo

I've seen that before. In fact, I had a poster of it. The home computer of 2004!

[​IMG]

The steering wheel controlled the tension of the data wheels--a precursor to the modern mouse:

[​IMG]

14. Semper Fidelis

Just a bit of "information", when that first computer was built that still used vaccuum tubes for memory, the cost of memory was approximately $1/byte of information.

My home computer and its external storage would cost about $700 billion in terms of the memory I have to store information.

15. Kevin

Kevin Puritan Board Doctor

I just had a flashback to all of those Dispensational "the anti-Christ-is-coming-and-science-predicts-that-by-the-year-2000-the-name-and-phone-number-of-every-person-on-earth-will-be-stored-on-a-single-computer!!!" sermons from the 70's & 80's.

:rofl:

16. Brian Bosse

Brian Bosse "The Brain"

The arcade section is "ub da' Debil!" ;) I just waisted about an hour. I need to go repent.

17. VictorBravo

Well, they are, you know. ;)

18. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

That wheel was a mouse? Wow!

19. Calvibaptist

There's something wrong with your medulla oblongata.

20. Calvibaptist

I'm just here for the cool powerpoint, the awesome true-to-life skits and the 7-11 choruses!

21. VaughanRSmith

VaughanRSmith Puritan Board Sophomore

Uh... I don't care what the stats say... I haven't played 441 games. My Simon highscore was my first go!

22. javajedi

javajedi Puritan Board Freshman

This can be real dangerous.
    I still have a working Atari 800 XL with the PacMan cartridge, etc. Circa 1982.
    The kids enjoy the retro thing.

23. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

We had the old Atari 2600 with probably 50+ games. I think it may still be at my parents house.

24. Beth Ellen Nagle

Where is Centipede?? :rant: ;)

I did very poorly in Tetris this morning. I need more coffee apparently.

25. JasonGoodwin

JasonGoodwin Puritan Board Sophomore

:rofl:. 2004? Ah, yes. 3 years ago. My how time flies.

26. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Showing your age Chris ;). Actually, I remember when Sonic the Hedgehog first hit the stage (I was about 10 at the time); indeed there was even fierce contests between Sega and Nintendo fans about who was more cool - Sonic or Super Mario. Needless to say that the hedgehog beat the fat Italian plumber hands down.

27. Semper Fidelis

I remember Pong also. I think my father was stationed in Ramstein, Germany at the time and we were overawed by it. I think it was about 1974 when I first played it.

28. Reformed Covenanter

It is hard to imagine anyone being "overawed by pong". Mind you, I am overawed by these new smiles, they're great:

:oops::offtopic::applause::violin::soapbox:

29. VictorBravo

But we were.

The other amazing thing is that most of us had to put a quarter into the machine to play it. Adjusted for inflation, that would be like paying more than $1 per game now. What obsessed weirdos we were!

30. Reformed Covenanter

$1 a game!!! How gullible you must have been in those days. :popcorn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.