PuritanBoard Katrina Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
It has been remarked many times on the PuritanBoard that we are like a community. That is true in many respects, and we have especially seen it in the concerns expressed on the Board for those who were affected by Katrina. I also imagine that if many of you are like me, you are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the task of relief in the Gulf Coast regions of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. It is a daunting task, and can be disheartening as to where to begin and "make a difference."

As a result, the PuritanBoard has decided to make an opportunity available for members (or even visitors) to give tangible help to people affected by the storm in a way that we can see the results of our help. There are more than a few regular known members who have been placed by God's Providence in the hurricane region at this time. They include:

• Pastor Lawrence Underwood in Mobile, AL
  • Pastor Kevin Carroll in Mize, MS
  • Michael Butterfield in Pickins, MS
  • Tim Smith in Baton Rouge, LA

None of the individuals above have asked the Board or me personally for assistance, but I believe all could use our help. There are very likely others on the Board as well who are in need of help - if so, they should email me privately off-list and give me a short account of their circumstances and their church affiliation.

I know that Lawrence will be busy with his home and church from the damage caused. Kevin's town is still without power or gasoline, and may be for the foreseeable future. Michael just moved down to Pickens for seminary, and at the very least has lost food due to the electricity failing. There are likely to be other RTS seminary students who could use assistance (Jacob, Patrick, Andrew and others). If you would like to help, here is what you can do:

I have set up a fund at with my church (Tchula PCA) to receive donations for assistance. I will personally oversee the distribution of funds, in connection with and under the oversight of the Tchula Session and Diaconate. If you would like to make a (tax-deductible) donation, you may send a check directly to me, PAYABLE to Tchula Presbyterian Church. In this way, the funds will get to those who need it quickly, but there will be clear accountability. Checks should be sent to:

[align=center]Tchula Presbyterian Church Katrina Relief Fund
c/o Fred Greco
139 Murial Street
Clinton, MS 39056.[/align]

You could also send checks directly to the church at:

[align=center]Tchula PCA
PO Box 937
Tchula, MS 39169[/align]

Still another alternative would be to send checks to Rev. Phillip Way at Maranatha Church. We are currently working on a way to send funds via paypal. Please DO NOT send cash - as it is possible to be lost, and is much more difficult to keep track of. I do not, REPEAT, do not want any possibility of appearance of evil or personal gain in any of this. That is why I am going to such lengths to maintain accountability.

It is my hope that life will not "return to normal" in the Gulf region, but that these events will provide an opportunity for the gospel such that God would send revival.

If you would like to donate through our church, make your check or money order payable to Maranatha Community Church and send it to us at:

[align=center]Maranatha Community Church
Katrina Relief Fund
PO Box 83
Round Rock, Texas 78680-0083[/align]

Our church will coordinate the distribution of funds directly with Fred and his church.

For His Glory Alone,
Phillip

Originally posted by fredtgreco
We are currently working on a way to send funds via paypal.

Fred,
Please advise if and when the Paypal option is available. I wonder also if you could get them to waive their fees or possibly donate their fees? Just a thought.

Disappointing about Paypal.
If I have posted this before or someone else has, pardon the double posting. The PCA Historical center is maintaining an information page on PCA churches affected by the hurricane at:
http://www.pcahistory.org/churches/katrina.html
Also, the PCA´s Mission to North American has a site taking donations at http://www.pca-mna.org/
The first link does not appear to work but the donation link works.
The Orthodox Presbyterian church had many families in New Orleans lose everything. They give a report here http://www.opc.org/katrina.html

Here is a report from one Texas OPC congregation.
--- In [email protected], "Phil Hodson" <Phil@B...>
wrote:
Dear Brethren in the Lord Jesus Christ,

Some of you may not be aware of what has been happening so I am writing to provide an update and somewhat of an overview on things happening through Christ The King (OPC) in Longview, TX.

In a nutshell, we are working to connect with displaced people and provide for them living arrangements and life-necessities in and through the Longview, Texas area.

GATHERING:
We have been working especially to network to connect with and remove people who have been displaced out of their homes. So far most have come been from New Orleans. In the last few days we have had contact with and received or retrieved families from the Baton Rouge Centroplex Red Cross shelter, from the shelter at Plains Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Zachary, LA, the Lighthouse Shelter in Opelousas, LA, and by word of mouth through the families already with us.

Today we brought in a family of 14 in from a PCA church in Monroe, LA who were displaced to there from Desire Street Ministries in New Orleans.

On this front we are still working to connect especially with complete family units as well as women with children. In that regard, PLEASE LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT WE HAVE ACCOMMODATIONS AVAILABLE
and can provide transportation if necessary. They may contact
me directly at 903.238.6830

Gathering people has now become our priority as the other pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place.

PLACEMENT:
We are placing these people into accommodations where they will be cared for until they can be reintegrated into society. This includes both camp environments as well as placement in homes which have been volunteered.

We presently have available space in a Christian camp which we are trying to fill as soon as possible, as it is available only until October 4. After that the remaining families will be integrated into homes. The camp is fully staffed and has available a large amount of locally donated goods. The cabins will house complete family units with up to nine members. Meals and medical treatment are provided. There will soon be satellite TV to keep people connected, and there is presently high speed internet on site.
Evacuees are registered upon arrival directly with FEMA so that they may connect with lost loved ones quickly as well as receive available relief funds. The camp itself has everything needed to care for these people. Only complete family units with children will be placed at this facility. There is room for 6 more families as of this afternoon (Sept 8).

Also we are placing people in homes. We have had a very good response of people with homes available to evacuees in the Longview and East Texas area, as well as with the entire Presbytery of the Southwest OPC. We also have on our list people in other states as far as Michigan and Ohio who are ready to receive evacuees. We are still gathering volunteers on this front as we do not yet know the extent of the need so please let us know if you or someone else might be able to help and we will work to provide a suitable match.
So far we have been able to accommodate all evacuees in Longview and Tyler.

PROVISIONS FOR NEEDS:
All of these housing arrangements also involve connecting people with all the essentials of life, such as housing, furniture, clothing, food, medical treatment, etc. We have a working list of agencies as a contact list to work from. We have had a crash course in disaster relief over the last week and should be able to assist in smoothing the way toward reintegrating people to sustain themselves ASAP outside of the care we are providing.

THINGS HAPPENING TODAY:
a.. Today one single lady was able to arrange for an apartment in Longview and will move in on Tuesday. It is in a good neighborhood, on a busline (she has no car), has the utilities included, and we have found a place where furniture is available for her.
b.. Also today, another of our families, through HUD, has found a house to live in. The normal red tape has been waved and they are moving in right away.
c.. Also this afternoon we have one displaced student testing for admission to a local Christian school, and another making application to a local Christian University. Both of these it appears may provide assistance so that these students may attend free or nearly so.
d.. One family was brought in from Monroe, LA

HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1. Please pray for these people, that they will find peace and rest in the Lord Jesus and strength to begin anew and carry on; that Our God would richly provide for them, and that they would give Him the glory and live for Him.
2. Other than prayer our number one need is to connect with families who are displaced. There are many people who say "I will let you know if I hear of anything," but rare are those who will actively pursue gathering up those who are displaced and guide them to more suitable living arrangements. This may be done by networking with evacuee families, church shelters, and inquiring with those who have some connection to the affected areas. If you are able to locate families, you may connect them directly to us at 903.238.6830.
2. Gather for us more volunteers to house people and have them contact us at phil@b...
3. Consider how you might personally volunteer or send a group of volunteers to help directly with relief efforts. Email us and we can provide you contact information for people already on the ground and able to put you directly to work.
4. Consider donating. There are many places that can directly apply your gifts to people's needs. We are at present spending money on food, clothing, gas to go get people (5 of our vehicles went 700 miles yesterday). And there are other costs associated with helping people get places to live, furnishings, pots, pans, etc. Many things are donated but there are significant gaps which we are finding need to be filled.

Be aware that we are not the only people engaged in these things and there are many places available to either volunteer or send your monies where they will be used to directly help people. But if you would like to donate here and have your money directly applied to people's needs please make checks to Christ The King Presbyterian Church (marked 'hurricane relief') and send to:
Christ THE KING PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
503 HAMBY ROAD
LONGVIEW, TX
Consider our Lord Jesus and ponder His so great salvation. This Jesus Who gave Himself for our sins is alive and right now at work, not just despite these things but through them. The cup of cold water in His Name is the very meaning of your existence. This disaster is a continuing opportunity for you, to act.

In the Light that shines in the darkness, Phil Hodson

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------

Other worthy opportunities are as follows:
Pineville OPC Pastor Jack Sawyer is coordinating the
receiving and distribution of monetary donations or gifts in kind of basic
food and life necessities for those in Pineville, LA shelters.
Gifts
may be sent, designated "Hurricane Relief" to:

Pineville OPC
Attn: Deacons
2522 Military Highway
Pineville, LA 71360
(318) 640-5642
sawyer.1@o...

TO HELP OPC FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST HOMES AND POSSESSIONS Presbytery of the South Stated Clerk Jeff Boer is coordinating the collection of monetary gifts for OPC families who have lost their homes, and possessions, or livelihoods as a result of the destruction of Hurricane Katrina. Such gifts may be sent, designated "Hurricane Relief" to:

Sharon OPC
6270 W. 6 Ave.
Hialeah, FL 33012
(305) 439-9694
DrBoer@a...

TO GO AND HELP
OPC Director of Finance David Haney is coordinating the formation of teams of interested individuals willing to go to affected areas to provide general assistance to those affected by Hurricane Katrina, to help OP and PCA churches providing such assistance, and to assist OP families with the clean-up or rebuilding of their homes. To make yourself available for such a help team contact:

David E. Haney
Orthodox Presbyterian Church
607 N. Easton Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
(215) 830-0900
haney.1@o...

TO PROVIDE GENERAL HURRICANE RELIEF ASSISTANCE The OPC denominational Committee on Diaconal Ministries is accepting general contributions for hurricane relief and will seek to use these funds to meet the needs of our OP brothers and sisters, as well as members of other Reformed congregations in the areas affected. Contributions marked "Hurricane Relief." may be sent to:

Committee on Diaconal Ministries
c/o Rev. Leonard J. Coppes, Secretary- Treasurer
9161 Vine Street
Thornton, CO 80229
(303) 287-9145
coppes.1@o...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil Hodson
Christ The King Presbyterian Church
503 Hamby Road
Longview, Texas 75605
http://www.ChristTheKingLongview.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"He prays, but He hears prayer. He weeps, but He causes tears to cease. He is bruised and wounded, but He heals every disease and every infirmity. He is lifted up and nailed to the Tree, but by the Tree of Life He restores us, yes, He saved even the robber crucified with Him. He dies, but He gives life, and by His death destroys death. He is buried, but He rises again; He goes down to Hell, but He brings up the souls; He ascends to heaven, and shall come again to judge the living and the dead"
~Gregory of Nazianzus. The Fourth Theological Oration XX, NPNF Vol.
VII, P. 309.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
--- End forwarded message ---

Interesting about PayPal. I gave to a church through PayPal yesterday. Wonder if there's a problem? Gave to another one via the Alpha and Omega ministries website a few days ago. Hope the money is getting to them. :(

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Relief Fund. I am am closing down this thread so that the church can make final distribution of the funds.

locked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back