Puritans & the PCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbergsing

Puritan Board Sophomore
My wife asked a question today I cannot answer. She asked what the difference was between Puritan theology and that of the PCA. I have no idea how to answer her. Any help?

They're generally going to have instruments in worship, at least in my experience. That's probably a point of difference.

No, I don't believe they or most other Protestants did for quite some time. Today is really the age of instrumental worship if I'm not mistaken. My church still sings a cappella. Someone else would probably be able to more fully fill you in.

i believe another difference would be in the puritan theocracy.

i also think eschatologically many pca's are amellenial.

There was a strong theocratic element in Puritanism that is lost today. Also, many Puritans called for the execution of tyrants (see Rutherford Lex Rex). In fact, after reading Knox and the Puritans, Bahnsen and Rushdoony are rather tame!

the·oc·ra·cy /θiˈɒkrəsi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thee-ok-ruh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cies. 1. a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.
2. a system of government by priests claiming a divine commission.
3. a commonwealth or state under such a form or system of government.

This is the second word I had to look up today...

Free Reformed Churches have bee labeled "Neo-Puritan". I'll gladly wear that badge!
Experiential Preaching is also perhaps one overall distinction as well. Some PCA churches are in this vein I believe, but not all.

Puritan churches were congregational, not presbyterian.

:eek:

I'd love to see the reaction of the Westminster Divines to the charge. It is true that there were certain congregationalists (i.e. John Owen), but it is my understand that the vast majority were Presbyterian in church government.

:eek:

I'd love to see the reaction of the Westminster Divines to the charge. It is true that there were certain congregationalists (i.e. John Owen), but it is my understand that the vast majority were Presbyterian in church government.

I was thinking more specifically the New England Puritans, but I probably should not have assumed that.

It is difficult to speak in generalities. The Puritans were a diverse group when you consider Anglican Puritans, Presbyterian Puritans, Congregational Puritans, Baptist Puritans; and the PCA is in some ways like the big-tent Republican Party (some PCA churches are like Episcopal churches; many are Evangelical; when I was in the PCA my congregation held to a cappella exclusive psalmody, which is very rare).

But it is generally agreed that the Westminster Standards of 1645-48 represents mature Puritan theology and to the extent that they differ from the PCA standards, one can discern major differences.

Specifically, the American revisions of 1788 and 1903 (relating to the civil magistrate and the Papal antichrist) of the Confession, which were adopted by the PCA, point to a significant difference in understanding the government of God in the church (the Pope is named as antichrist in the chapter on the church and this issue spills over into the question of the validity of Roman Catholic baptism as well; and the church's relation to the state). The Directory of Public Worship was revised early on in America too (before the inception of the PCA but this trajectory was followed by the PCA), to allow for the singing of uninspired hymns (the history of which is traced in Julius Melton's Presbyterian Worship in America). Instrumental accompaniment has also been noted as a significant difference in the worship of the Puritans (it was nearly universally condemned by them) and the worship of the PCA (nearly universally condoned).

There are some in the PCA who are Puritan-minded, but broadly speaking, the PCA has diverged from the Puritan path in various ways, especially with respect to worship and ecclesiology.

Anglican Puritans

:bouncing:

"Anglican Puritans, in the beginning, were the first Puritans. They were content to work within the system, and leave bishops in place, but purge the church of "Popery" which had been left over by the political compromises of Elizabeth." - Mark S. Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back