puritans view of creation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! Do you know if all Puritans believed in:

1) young earth

2) literal 6 days creation

Or did any have various view ie. (old earth, gap theory Gen 1:1-1:2)?
Or was this something that many did not write upon?

If you know of any Puritans dealing with these topics, I would be interested to know.

Thank you!

For His Glory-
Matthew Wilson

The Puritans clearly believed in a 6-day creation week, but not necessarily 24 hour days. Most did believe in 24-hour days, but not all...

Echo? Apart from Lightfoot who makes day 1 36 hours, I think a literal 24 hour day six day creation week was almost without exception. There were no non literal views for instance.

I think the Puritans were almost fully young earth; six day 144 hour creation (or thereabouts; Lightfoot adds half a day). See the book below (full disclosure; I helped with some of the research for David Hall, but I don't get any royalties or anything ;)).
Amazon.com: The Genesis Debate : Three Views on the Days of Creation (9780970224507): J. Ligon Duncan III, David W. Hall, Hugh Ross, Gleason L. Archer, Lee Irons, Meredith G. Kline, David G. Hagopian: Books

Good book!

I think so (I get a mention in a footnote :D).
I think the Puritans were almost fully young earth; six day 144 hour creation (or thereabouts; Lightfoot adds half a day). See the book below (full disclosure; I helped with some of the research for David Hall, but I don't get any royalties or anything ;)).
Amazon.com: The Genesis Debate : Three Views on the Days of Creation (9780970224507): J. Ligon Duncan III, David W. Hall, Hugh Ross, Gleason L. Archer, Lee Irons, Meredith G. Kline, David G. Hagopian: Books

Good book!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back