Puritans with long hair or long wigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why all this fuss over hair on men's heads? Everyone knows that as a man progresses in sanctification his perfected pate is progressively revealed. :)

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

GI Barber has the best sermon I have every heard on the subject. He recieved his PhD. in hairology. He did a detailed study on every passage in the Bible regarding hair:

http://www.sharperiron.org/downloads/Podcasts/hairology.mp3

:rofl: I was expecting something serious but this was so funny.

Oh, my. This is hilarious. I must save it.

Last edited:
Why all this fuss over hair on men's heads? Everyone knows that as a man progresses in sanctification his perfected pate is progressively revealed.

That makes me think of Psalm 7:16 -- "His mischief will return upon his own head, And his violence will descend upon his own pate." ;)

Look at portraits and photographs of U.S. Presidents before 1900. Those in the late 1800s had short hair (and beards!). But some from the early part of the century did have longish hair (e.g., James Polk, Marvin van Buren, James Madison, etc.).

"Lady-haired Puritans" - now THAT's an adjective that one does not quickly forget.

A test for all PB members: Work this new adjective into at least one post each week and soon we make be able to insert this new phraseology into the general culture. Let's be trend-settters. By 2013 it will be appearing in general use even in academic journals. By 2015 Joel Beeke will be publishing a book on the Lady Haired Puritans.

Question: Would anyone say that this is a 9th commandment violation, to suppose feminine-ness upon the Puritans, i.e., like limp-wristed-ness?

What happened before Puritan men began to grow/wear lady-hair:

_42241758_puritan203.jpg

Quote from Tim
After all, all the best pictures we have of Him show Him with long hair ...

As a matter of interest, Why is that?

Probably deserves its own thread.

Quote from Phil

Looks from the picture that they were greatly admired by the ladies.

Quote from Phil

Looks from the picture that they were greatly admired by the ladies.

I beg to differ. I believe those ladies are admiring his stunning, stiff-as-a-board Puritan posture. Everyone knows that the holiest of men walk like the Tin Woodman after receiving his heart.

Someone just told me today that their dad used to have lady-hair (but before becoming a Puritan). I won't name any names...

So I'm probably the only lady-haired Puritan around here... :D
Firstly, I believe that Schirrmachers exegisis of I. Corinthians 11 is very convincing. In the OT-days, many holy men had long hair (Absalom, Samson,...), God would surely not suddenly "change his mind" and forbid it. Secondly, I think it sounds a bit like some ceremonial/superficial thing if you would ban it. I cannot see any connection between having short-cut hair and true faith in Jesus Christ and dont believe that God leads his people to cut off their hair to be a sign for their faith or something like this. Thirdly - as it has been already mentioned - it is really something depending on cultural background. When discussing about whether it is sinful to eat blood, everyone argues that "the apostles only forbid it because of the Jewish Christians in the apostolic Church and it does not hold true today" (Because they want to eat their medium steak :lol:) that is not questioned, but the possibility of I. Cor 11,4 being related to cultural context as well is denied. I do believe as well that the prohibition of blood is some temporal thing, but I notice many being not consistent and only wanting to accept those prohibitions they like (lady-hair should be banned but I really like blood and pearls). As some of you already stated out correctly, men used to have longer hair in the past. If you say "men have to have short hair compared to the standards of the culture they are living in" you are suggesting they should follow suit the world. What I mean is: If the unbelievers would shave their head completly until they are bald headed, all believers should follow them and get a bald head, because their hair-cut would be sinful if it is longer than bald? Shouldn't the church follow the Word of God and not some cultural/modern trends? Accusing lady-haired believers of being no true believers (and havin no saving faith) is very wrong in my eyes.

Last edited:
On Puritans and fashion during the ECW:

"Charles I was a Cavalier King and therefore had a small pointed beard, long flowing curls, a large, flat, flowing hat and gay attire. The Roundheads, on the other hand, were clean-shaven and wore tall, conical hats, white ties and sombre garments. Under these circumstances a Civil War was inevitable".
~1066 And All That.

Accusing lady-haired believers of being no true believers (and havin no saving faith) is very wrong in my eyes.

Don't worry Simon. I raised this subject out of interest. I would have to call some of the most respected and godly men of the past unbelievers, if I called you an unbeliever because you had long hair.

At best you wouldn't be unbelievers, but either deliberately ignoring a small part of God's Word, or you had a wrong interpretation of that small part of God's Word, or I was wrong in interpreting that small part of God's Word - I Corinthians 11 on hair distinctions between men and women.

We are justified by faith in Christ through grace, not because we keep the law perfectly. There are much more serious sins and errors that would make us question the reality of our's or another's faith than the length of our/their hair!

Either way it shouldn't come between our fellowship.

Is Dr Schirrmacher's book just available in German?

Don't worry Simon. I raised this subject out of interest.
I hope my post did sound like I was accusing you of inciting people against longer-haired Christians :lol: The last sentence was meant to be more general, for I already met people who thougt it was a sign of sinful disobedience and a sure path to hellfire. My comment was not related to your first post directly.

Either way it shouldn't come between our fellowship.
:amen:

Is Dr Schirrmacher's book just available in German?
Never thought it was available, but after doing a bit of research, I actually found it:

ISBN: 9783933372468
Amazon.com: Paul in Conflict with the Veil (9783933372468): Thomas Schirrmacher: Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back