Q & A part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
One of the questions I often have reading the Gospels was whether Christ was speaking to the disciples or the crowd. I was fascinated to find this question on the lips of Peter (Luke 12 v41).

Jesus however does not give a direct answer but goes on to expound the parable further! What are we to make of that? Didn't Jesus hear the question?

Jesus' answer shows that he did hear the question. Peter's inquiry Jesus interprets as calling for a pointed application of what Jesus has just been speaking in a general way (not so interested in specifying a target audience).

This is the weight of the opening words of v42, "Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household?" Peter and the others of the "us" are those who are on a track to become the stewards of Jesus' house, his kingdom, his church. v44 "Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath."

And then follows the stern warning, v45 "But and if that servant say in his heart..." And he ends the section in v48 contrasting the relative judgments that belong to the ranks below and the crust above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back