Qualifications of an Apostle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The apostolic office was not a permanent office, but a temporary office.
Apostles were required to have seen the risen Christ, so that he could preach a resurrection of which he had himself been an eyewitness (1 Corinthians 9:1).
He had to be called and commissioned by the risen Lord directly (John 20:21; Acts 26:15-18), which also meant that he received the gospel from Christ Himself (Galatians 1:11-12).

Are you looking for this?

Act 1:21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
Act 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

This was originally from GraceNotes; Please note I don't know much about them. If I knew how to credit them I would it is not my intention to plagiarize.

The Qualifications of an Apostle

* An apostle had to have the spiritual gift of apostleship. The gift was provided by Jesus Christ after His ascension into Heaven, Eph. 4:8-11. The gift was imparted by the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, 1 Cor. 12:11; Acts 2.
* The apostle received his gift and office by the sovereign decision of God the Father, 1 Cor. 1:1; 12:18; Eph. 1:1; Col. 1:1.
* The apostle had to have been an eyewitness of the resurrected Lord, Acts 1:22; 1 Cor. 9:1.
* The Credentials of an Apostle
* An apostle was endowed with miraculous powers of miracles, Heb. 2:4; 2 Cor. 12:12.
* An apostle had success in evangelism, 1 Cor. 9:2; 2 Cor. 3:1-3; Gal. 2:7-9.
* An apostle had the capacity to suffer patiently, 2 Cor. 12:12.

Also,
Is there any evidence from the Church Fathers where they discuss that they are not apostles, but are disciples of the apostles?

Also,
Is there any evidence from the Church Fathers where they discuss that they are not apostles, but are disciples of the apostles?

Yes. I don't remember specifics, but there are, for instance, sections of Irenaeus where he says, "I heard this from Polycarp, and he got it from John himself, so we know that it's true". Conversely, he says that the gnostics have no ties to the apostles, and in some cases deny their authority, so we know they're whack. That's somewhat of a paraphrase, of course ;)

Other of the apostolic fathers say similar things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back