Question about 1 Corinthians 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanVK

Puritan Board Freshman
One of my Elders recently commented to me (after he preached from this chapter) that he believes that Paul's warning (1 Cor. 10) only refers to temporal judgments from the Lord (kind of like a discipline) and has nothing to do with whether or not they were reconciled to God. That raised some red flags for me. Has anyone here heard that interpretation before?

I don't think one can make the fine distinction. If God brings his judgments against the church, those who are "caught" by it may be some reprobate false-professors, and others believers who have been tempted. The former faces hell besides, and the latter only the temporal side. But destiny is sorted out in the aftermath; the present moment sees judgment on the visible church as a whole.

It's even possible for an "innocent" person to be caught by the tide--think of Daniel sent to Babylon. But once again, there is both sufficient justice with God to both let the suffering occur, and make up for it. And we have to trust him, Gen.18:25. But again, from the standpoint of the observer, there is no way to differentiate the nature of those caught up in the act of justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back