Question about 1789 edition of The Marrow of Modern Divinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
I've started collecting older volumes on the covenants as a hobby. One I've been on the lookout for is an older copy of The Marrow of Modern Divinity. The first edition was published in 1645, but the editions with Boston's notes included began in 1745 (I believe). There are numerous editions; to such an extent that in 1781 they were coming out with the 18th edition! Which brings me to my question. The two editions that came out following the 1781 Berwick edition were printed in 1789 in two different places (Falkirk and Leith), but both of these editions, in the title page, are listed as the "eighth edition". This makes no sense, since it was the 18th edition that came out in 1781, which followed the 17th edition that also came out in 1781 (the actual 8th edition came out in 1658). Is this just an error made by both publishers? Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks!

JB

I would need to see both title pages for the two volumes but it could be they were both publishing the same edition or one copied the other. The first mistake would be the publisher who based his number on using the seventh edition with no real knowledge apparently of just how many others there were. If these is a reason for the numbering it should be in one of those editions I would think; otherwise, as I say, it is a mistake I would guess.

Chris, your theory would make sense. I also was looking further and there is also a "faulty" second edition of The Marrow that came out in 1658, the same year as the other (accurate) eighth edition. They probably did the same thing; not having access to google at the time, it seems they were just going on their best knowledge of what the last edition was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back