Question about James 5:14-16 - prayer and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
James 5:14-16
14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

Iam sruggeling with this verses alot. Myself i have diabetes, and sometimes it gives me alot of stuggles (like being tired alot and having hypos). Because of my health problem, one of my pastor showed me James 5:14-16. To beclear he only showe me the vers and ask me if i ever taught about it to have the prayer and anoinment with oil by the elders of the church. Iam a cessationist("spectacular" or "sign" gifts in 1 Corinthians 12-14 like prophecy, miraculous healing, tongues, etc. ceased with the apostolic age.). I know that men like Calvin and other reformers and puritans like Owen saw James 5:14-16 as the same as in 1 Corinthians 12-14, and John MacArthur view is that it only dealt with spiritueel suffering and not physical, and so they believed it ceased, but iam doubting, esspecially after i read and articel by an presbyterian pastor and also Rev. William Einwechter who both says that James 5:14-16 is different from 1 Corinthians 12-14 (one example is that James does not speaks about the gift of healing like in 1 Cor.), and so James 5 can still be appley in this age and day.

I believe in the full Sovereinty of God and that By His grace he can allowed suffering to be happen in the life of His childeren, to glorify Himself and to reveal his power in the weakness of His child, but does that mean that James 5 has no meaning or application for the church anyone more ?

Any help, advise or thoughts would be helpful!!!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back