Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Sports' started by cih1355, Feb 13, 2010.
Has there ever been an athlete who has competed in both the Summer and Winter Olympics?
Yes. I think someone who graduated from my high school was in bobsled and some track and field thing (maybe the one where they do multiple events for one medal).
From various sources, accuracy not verified:
Eddie Eagan, who had been an Olympic champion in boxing in 1920, won the gold in the men's bobsled event to become the first, and so far only, Olympian to have won gold medals in both the Summer and Winter Olympics
Winter Olympic Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clara Hughes won medals in speed skating at the 2002 and 2006 Winter Olympics and medals in cycling at the 1996 Summer Olympics.
WikiAnswers - Has a Canadian athlete competed in both Summer and Winter Olympics
Christa Luding - Speed skating and time trial cycling (only athlete to win medals at the Summer and Winter Olympics in the same year. Gold at Calgary 88, silver at Seoul 88)
Has anyone ever competed In both summer and winter Olympic games? - Yahoo! Answers
Best list I could find on the net:
Christa Luding-Rothenburger is the only athlete to win winter and summer medals in the same year.
1984- Speed Skating 500m Gold
1988 Calgary- Speed Skating Gold 1000m, Silver 500m
1988 Seoul- Cycling Track sprint silver
1992 Speed skating 500m Bronze
2. Connie Carpenter Phinney 1972 Speed skating
3. Willie Davenport Athletics 1968 and 1976
4. Eddie Eagan Boxing Gold light heavy-weight
1932 Bobsled gold 4-man . Only athlete to win a gold in both the Summer and the Winter.
5. Dave Gilman- Canoe/Kayak 1976, 1984 and 1988
6. Arthur Longsjo-1956 Speed skating and Cycling
7. Connie Paraskevin Young- Speed Skating 1980 and 1984
Cycling 1988, 1992 and 1996.
8. Arnold Uhrlass- Speed Skating 1960
9. Chris Witty- 2000 Cycling
Speed skating 2006
Speed Skating 2002 Gold 1000m
Speed Skating 1998 Silver 1000m and Bronze 1,500m
Speed Skating 1994
10. Pierre Harvey- Cross Country Skiing and Cycling 1984
11. Clara Hughs- Cycling 1996 Bronze in both the time trial and the road race.
2002- Speed Skating Bronze 5000m
2006- Speed Skating Gold 500m, Silver team pursuit
12. Susan Halloway- 1976 Cross Country Skiing
13. Haley Wickenheiser- 1998 Ice Hockey Silver
2002 Ice Hockey Gold
2006 Ice Hockey Gold
14. Igor Boraska Rowing 2000
15. Miklos Gyulai Bobsleigh 1994
16. Jeroen Straathof- 1994 Speed Skating
17. Jacob Tullin Thams- 1924 Ski Jumping K90 individual
1928 Ski Jumping
1936 Sailing Silver 8m Mixed
Only 4 people won medals in both the winter and summer Olympics.
I must have been mistaken then.