question about women called to Christian work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pergamum, I don't see how any reform effort anywhere can prosper without first 'making the best of the bad situation' that exists to begin with. I think pragmatism is different than working towards an ideal with what one has to work with. I'm asking these questions to try to clarify for myself what the goal is, so that I will be able to work towards it as I am able not just for myself but friends, etc. And I think equally as dangerous as real pragmatism the refusal to work with anything that hasn't already arrived, or isn't going to snap to overnight. That doesn't meet a world that has been disordered through sin for thousands of years: it isn't the gospel. We have strong convictions also, and those include convictions about patience.

Larry I am saddened that you would turn your back ont he entire Muslim world and the North Koreans who need the Gospel but are oppressed by tyrannical regimes. We ought to obey God rather than man.

A mere housewife; Yes, I agree totally.

Larry I am saddened that you would turn your back ont he entire Muslim world and the North Koreans who need the Gospel but are oppressed by tyrannical regimes. We ought to obey God rather than man.

A mere housewife; Yes, I agree totally.

:up::up:

Very interesting discussion.

husbands not men in general

Bible translation is a huge need...and often women are better educated and more studious than men and they make the best translators.

I don't believe this statement is accurate...can you post something to back it up?

As far as women doing Christian work....as long as they don't exercise authority over men there should be no problems.

I think it is most appropriate for a woman to serve under the authority of a man. And since there are a great number of men in the mission field already who are in need of workers to help them, it may be best to work in such ministries to enable that ministry to bear more fruit unto God than starting a new ministry.

It seems to me that a woman who seeks to do Christ's work without the authority of a man over her is neglecting the order that Christ has established to do His work...

...the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man;... (1Co 11:3)

And we are also reminded that the woman in and of herself is more easily deceived. Because it was Eve that the serpent deceived, not Adam (1 Tim 2:14). The Devil, recognizing that Eve was the weaker vessel (1 Pet 3:7), sought to deceive Eve and not Adam. It was the woman who yielded to the temptation of Satan, while the man yielded to his love for his wife. And because of her yielding to deceit, woman is to be in subjection to man (Gen 3:16).

1. Where is your scriptural support for the above, "don't exercise authority over a man; Paul does not say this, he says, a wife is not to exercise authority over her husband" (see 1 Timothy 2). I have found most translations get this text wrong because of theological bias. Do advise

2. Again, are women to be submissive to other men besides their husbands? Biblical Support??

1. Where is your scriptural support for the above, "don't exercise authority over a man; Paul does not say this, he says, a wife is not to exercise authority over her husband" (see 1 Timothy 2). I have found most translations get this text wrong because of theological bias. Do advise

2. Again, are women to be submissive to other men besides their husbands? Biblical Support??

1 Tim 2:12 uses the Greek "gune"...same as it does in verse 9. Are you suggesting that this word can only mean "wife"? And if so, does that mean that wives are required to dress modestly, but not women in general (verse 9)?

I wish you would post where i said that we should turn our back on them...oh, that's right, i didn't. I said that we shouldn't sin against God (by lying) to perform missionary work.

I was replying specifically to when you said that you have to lie to get into some of these countries...that's when i said...
"We have a biblical example of what to do if a country is closed to us...wait for another door to open (Acts 16). And there are so many open countries that need missionaries badly, that could be the open door for these missionaries."

So the context of what i said was not "let's give up on the countries", but rather "we don't sin against God to accomplish His work, so we use the biblical example of what to do in such cases."

Larry:

Waiting for another door to open up on a closed country means to form a multi-national business and do business overseas, in your free time speaking about Christ to people in closed countries.

This is not lying and this is no passivity. This is creatively accessing closed countries with the Gospel.

Getting a certificate to teach English as a second language and moving to China is not lying. If asked why you are there, youa re a teacher. But, in your spare time you speak of Christ. If asked, your answer need not be "missionary" - you are a teacher..you teach, your training is as a teacher and you do this X hours per week.

Even if you use a business as a cover, you are still doing lgitimate work.

As far as countries with laws on the books against evangelism, well, we ought to obey God rather than man and break these laws.

The main countries that most need missionaries ARE the same ones that persecute believers. THey ought to be special obejcts of prayer and creative strategy.

How do YOU suggest evangelizing the Middle East, China and North Korea?

gune

1 Tim 2:12 uses the Greek "gune"...same as it does in verse 9. Are you suggesting that this word can only mean "wife"? And if so, does that mean that wives are required to dress modestly, but not women in general (verse 9)?

Yes, this is exactly what I am suggesting. You might check the references where gune and aner are used - most of the time the word pair suggest husband and wife, not men and women - Paul uses anthropos when refering to mankind in general. See also the LXX in Genesis 2 for the origin of the word pair.

Merry Christmas

Waiting for another door to open up on a closed country means to form a multi-national business and do business overseas, in your free time speaking about Christ to people in closed countries.

This is not lying and this is no passivity. This is creatively accessing closed countries with the Gospel.
You can't take a post that was specifically in response to you saying...
when organizations go into countries like this they do have to lie.
And argue against my post as if it had nothing to do with lying...that's just not fair.

Yes, this is exactly what I am suggesting. You might check the references where gune and aner are used - most of the time the word pair suggest husband and wife, not men and women - Paul uses anthropos when refering to mankind in general. See also the LXX in Genesis 2 for the origin of the word pair.

Merry Christmas

I've never heard anybody argue that only married women are supposed to dress modestly...very interesting.

Gune is used in many places of the NT to refer to "women" it actually means...
a woman of any age, whether a virgin, or married, or a widow
and can only be distinguished by context.

Sorry to be jumping into this one so late (house is full of 14 family members).

My wife has four theological degrees and serves in a church where she is NOT ordained (her quip to feminists regarding women in church leadership: "Paul was right"). She works under the authority of the sr. pastor, and serves full-time in the Christian education area (primarily children's ministry). This has never limited her ability to be VERY busy and engaged in using her gifts.

One of my daughters has a seminary degree and has a passion for discpling young women. She teches in a large Christian high school in Fort Wayne after working with young women MKs in a Christian bording school in Kandern (Germany). Again, she has felt no barriers to her utilization of her gifting.

In neither case do either of my ladies seem to transgress the lines most complementarians would see for biblical roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back