Question concerning God's Law and mental health of Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeri Tanner

Administrator
Staff member
"Great peace have they which love Thy law." Might an improved understanding of (and love for) God's moral Law bring greater peace- mental and emotional stability and well being- to mentally and emotionally troubled Christians? Not just knowing it but practicing it, and maybe particularly in regards to the Sabbath, since its practice is almost unknown now? I'm sure I've found it to be so. Who has written on this?

Personally I know that the more I observe the Sabbath, as it was intended, the better my following days go most times.

Yes, Earl, the same here. Taking the question even further- could the lack of Sabbath observance (as described in the Westminster standards, which I believe to be a biblical understanding of our duties to the Lord's day)- and more, the lack of realization that we have a command from God not only in regards to the seventh day rest but in regards to the other six days of work- and more, that we have the other 9 commands that aren't platitudes but actual commands from God with hints of thundering in them, though they come to a heart made willing as grace and life- could this lack of knowledge be the actual cause of much uncertainty in Christians who haven't been taught these things, resulting in an inability to rest in and trust in the Lord? And thus have peace? "Let us press on to know the Lord"- but isn't one's knowledge of him greatly limited where there is a lack of a right understanding of Law and gospel? And the duties that flow from it.

Yes, Earl, the same here. Taking the question even further- could the lack of Sabbath observance (as described in the Westminster standards, which I believe to be a biblical understanding of our duties to the Lord's day)- and more, the lack of realization that we have a command from God not only in regards to the seventh day rest but in regards to the other six days of work- and more, that we have the other 9 commands that aren't platitudes but actual commands from God with hints of thundering in them, though they come to a heart made willing as grace and life- could this lack of knowledge be the actual cause of much uncertainty in Christians who haven't been taught these things, resulting in an inability to rest in and trust in the Lord? And thus have peace? "Let us press on to know the Lord"- but isn't one's knowledge of him greatly limited where there is a lack of a right understanding of Law and gospel? And the duties that flow from it.

I know that those who deny the day is to be used for the spiritual benefit of ones soul at least set apart the day for an hour of worship. For that I am grateful for. Personally I know that when a pastor, of a "reformed" church, teaches contrary to our confessions makes it very difficult to lead the family in the proper view of the day. I am trying to demonstrate this to my family because I am finding out practice speaks louder than words and to tell you the truth my practice is very lacking.

Here in the UK during the last week the BBC radio has had a programme examining, Rest. They held a survey as to what activity or lack of, did people find the best for rest. Top of the list came reading, to which I would concur, with fly fishing a salmon river a close second. But relevant to the thread, I would personally say that the Sabbath observance is not only a rest but a delight. Nothing champions over the sweet contentment that the Lord' day gives. Notwithstanding the logistics of travelling between meetings, and coping with children, or preaching, there is still a blessing that permeates the soul and satisfies and gratifies. There is one thing that will eclipse, and it is, there is a rest for the people of God. Perfect composure in resting eternally in Christ my Saviour.

We need to be careful about an imput-output model when it comes to God's law. Are we generally going to be better off behaving in a way that aligns with how we are created? Certainly. But we can't assume faithfulness guarantees mental or spiritual health any more than good exercise or diet guarantees good health.

I'm interested in the consciences of sincere but uninformed believers, I think. I don't mean this to be a thread only about the Lord's day, but about all the moral law and how the love for and delight, or lack thereof, might affect the peace of a believer. There are these Ten Commandments from God, moral laws that apply to every believer. But I grew up like almost all of my family and friends in a broad evangelical/charismatic-tinged understanding. Some of the 10 commandments were/are pretty much ignored, due to misunderstanding, lack of teaching, etc. There were definitely no rumblings of thunder or warnings to us associated with the 2nd, 4th, 5th, or 9th commandments. Yet since these commandments could be ignored, did this not lessen our fear of the Lord? I believe it led to an antinomian way of living the Christian life, and that since these laws are moral, it must have a detrimental effect to the well-being of a Christian to ignore them. My thinking is that for some souls, this could result in disordered living and thinking, and thus emotions.

There's no "automatic" benefit to keeping God's law, but clearly things like ignoring the Sabbath and family division and break up, and not being at peace with God are going to have their impacts on a society's mental well-being.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

There's no "automatic" benefit to keeping God's law,

I am of a different opinion. I could go on all day showing places where there is a direct cause and effect between the keeping the Law and a positive and “automatic” outcome.

The caveats that several have mentioned should be supported by Scripture. Nothing comes to mind right offhand. I agree that there may be exceptions especially when we are talking of unbelievers. But for the saints an exception proves the rule. In Scripture I see only the rule so the burden of proof is clearly on those who differ.

Here's just a very few that came to mind:

Psalms 19:11
Moreover by them[1] is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
[1] The law of the Lord, The statutes of the Lord, commandment of the Lord, judgments of the Lord (Psalm 119:7-9)

Deuteronomy 4:5-8
5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the Lord my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon him for?
8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

Psalms 19:7-8
7 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
8 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

Psalms 119:97-100 (Meditating on the Law of God makes you wiser than at least three categories of people: enemies, teachers, and the aged)
97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

Ephesians 6:1-3
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise.
3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

The Law of God has a tremendous bearing on mental health. I should know. (but I won't elaborate here just now)

Last edited:
There's no doubt those promises will be completely fulfilled for us, actually. But for a degree we have to wait.
Philippians 1:6

I am of a different opinion. I could go on all day showing places where there is a direct cause and effect between the keeping the Law and a positive and “automatic” outcome.

The caveats that several have mentioned should be supported by Scripture. Nothing comes to mind right offhand. I agree that there may be exceptions especially when we are talking of unbelievers. But for the saints an exception proves the rule. In Scripture I see only the rule so the burden of proof is clearly on those who differ.

Moreover by them[1] is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
[1] The law of the Lord, The statutes of the Lord, commandment of the Lord, judgments of the Lord (Psalm 119:7-9)

5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the Lord my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon him for?
8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

7 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
8 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

Psalms 119:97-100 (Meditating on the Law of God makes you wiser than at least three categories of people: enemies, teachers, and the aged)
98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

The Law of God has a tremendous bearing on mental health. I should know. (but I won't elaborate here just now)

Thanks Ed, you've hit on what I am trying to get at. These Scriptures are helpful- I was wanting to compile a list but haven't had time. I hope to post some more thoughts Monday or so, when I have more time. I appreciate your last sentence, as I can testify to the same. Thanks again.

I thought that I didn't really make myself very clear when I posted this. What I really meant to say is that someone observing God's law sincerely but imperfectly could still suffer mental ill health inspite of this, because of various factors both understood and not understood. It's not "automatic" that you will always be mentally healthy just because you are a believer and are sincerely but imperfectly obeying God's law.

The mental health that I'm talking about is the state that seems to be promised to those who know, understand, love, and obey God's law. It's that peace ("shalom") defined by Strong's as "completeness, soundness, welfare, peace." As far as the mental state goes, it's the "united heart" (the opposite of double-mindedness) of Psalm 86:11, necessary for the right fear of the Lord and thus wisdom. It isn't freedom from ever being distressed or depressed; but it's the stability of the sober-mindedness that I think only fully comes from understanding the relationship of law and gospel, and of knowing, loving, and obeying the moral laws of God. There is surely no more secure thing for the child of God than to so fully know the Father's mind.

A few more Scriptures to add to those above:

"Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them" (Psalm 119:165).

"My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee" (Proverbs 3:1,2).

"O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea" (Isaiah 48:18).

If knowing, understanding, loving, and obeying the law of God (as understood from the Westminster Confession, just as a frame of reference) brings these mental and emotional benefits, then the absence of such knowledge, understanding, love, and obedience will surely be detrimental to the believer.

A large swath of God's people have lost this understanding of the relationship of law and gospel, including the understanding that the Ten Commandments, all of them, are still to be honored and obeyed. (And so, have they lost a full grasp of the gospel in a sense?) Perhaps this is partly why there is a good bit of depression and anxiety among some Christians who are in this situation.

Anyway, these have been my musings lately.

Perhaps. My point is that Christians, like Spurgeon, who respect God's law are still not made immune to depression thereby.

Perhaps. My point is that Christians, like Spurgeon, who respect God's law are still not made immune to depression thereby.

Indeed, though I go "crazy" when I think of people who have not faith in Jesus and His commandments which are a guide to lead us toward justification and sanctification.

No, but perhaps better equipped to deal with it- to be strengthened by what one understands to carry on in one's duties and privileges, even if it is sometimes with a heavy heart. Respecting God's law seems too general of a term; there needs to be more particular description of what the Scriptures are really saying about our relationship to God's law? I'm postulating that understanding those truths can serve as a brace and a tonic to previously confused Christians when trials come. I think it may be the missing ingredient for many. I'm interested in this because I believe this understanding is "good news from a far country" Proverbs 25:25. And if it is, it's vital that God's people are taught it, yet it seems rare to find it taught.

I'm postulating that understanding those truths can serve as a brace and a tonic to previously confused Christians when trials come. I think it may be the missing ingredient for many. I'm interested in this because I believe this understanding is "good news from a far country" Proverbs 25:25. And if it is, it's vital that God's people are taught it, yet it seems rare to find it taught.

Very, very good thoughts indeed!

Psalm 1:1-3
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,
nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord
and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water
that bringeth forth his fruit in his season;
his leaf also shall not wither;
and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

I have found unconfessed sin beneath my anxiety and that, overtime, the searching and confessing has mitigated and even countered the anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back