Question for the Military Folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
I've just discovered that I've been sending letters to my cousin in Afghanistan to the wrong (old) address. Will he get these letters eventually? Or do they just get thrown out if they're no longer at that address?

The reason I ask is that I write my letters in kind of a series and there's an ongoing funny story involving our families that takes up the bulk of them. If he doesn't get these 8 that I sent to the wrong place, its not going to make much sense. I hate to rewrite them becuase they were handwritten and it takes a good deal of my time - so if he's going to get them eventually, I might just send a note saying, "Hey, I had the wrong address, but you'll be getting the first part of this story later."

My wife did this and I did receive the letters...eventually.... Some were returned to her and it seemed arbitrary the order of those that were returned and those letters that were forwarded on. It took many months so after this any letter she sent she always made a copy of it "just in case." Even family members of dependents have to learn about always making copies of documents. :um:

Thanks. I will definitely make copies in the future. I had thought about typing them, just so I could resend, but a handwritten letter seems so much nicer than one done on the computer.

Thanks. I will definitely make copies in the future. I had thought about typing them, just so I could resend, but a handwritten letter seems so much nicer than one done on the computer.

Keep the handwriting, it makes a difference. The other thing is the paper has the scent of home or at least of you. I would scan it but still send the original. Believe me even after he's back stateside and the letters catch up with him opening up a handwritten letter from home is always a great feeling. I remember a letter from my wife telling me how much she missed me and the ink was smudged because of her tears...I felt so special....and then she told me that she hadn't been crying but that she had sneezed! :lol:

Anyway keep the handwriting because it includes the sense of touch and smell which makes it all the more personal.

I am not in the military now but when I was in my exwife sent me letters in basic training and when I was deployed. I think she messed up but they eventally got to me and a handwritten copy does make a differance. I remember when she told me about my daughter's first heartbeat at the doctor's office and I was in basic, there were tear drops on the page and it kept me going (although in hindsight basic isn't that bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back