Question on getting household things to hurricane areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgrove

Puritan Board Freshman
My wife and I were noting how much stuff we've collected over the years as we had to move everything for new carpet this week. We need to unload stuff and we were going to take it down to salvation army or something until the hurricane struck. Now I'm wondering if anyone knows of some avenue to get things to churches for their members to rebuild homes with? I'm sure I can get it sent down there via salvation army or something, but I'm thinking of a more church centered thing if possible. But there's so much devastation that I'm kind of doubting they have any storage capacity left that won't cost a fortune. Is anyone else thinking of getting extra household goods from their churches down to the area for other Christians in particular. Are you in the Northwest if you are? (I'm very near Portland, OR).

We have a newborn baby in the hospital that will be coming home this weekend perhaps so I can't go down right away to help a church and it's members with rebuilding. It'll be a while before I can plan to join in with something like that for a week or so. And yes, making room for baby stuff is indeed the reason we're going to have to unload excess household items sooner than later... :) I'm talking about nice things we just don't have room for any longer, but would probably really help someone rebuilding from scratch. Any pointers welcome. I'm certain that I don't have anywhere near as much extra cash to give as I have value in household things I could donate.

Ron,

Given the logistical difficulties, I suggest that you try and either sell some stuff and send the proceeds, or donate it locally (many needs there too) and take the benefit of the tax deduction and send that.

Thank you. It was an idea, but I know you know the problems in the area better than I do by far so I'll heed the advice and find another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back