Question on importance of theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

Puritan Board Freshman
Just wondering how ya'll would respond to people who think that theology (doctrine) is not important and that all you need is a "personal relationship with Jesus"?

I know so many people who "seem" to use this as an excuse for not studying and not knowing what they believe.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by Don]

Id ask em which Jesus?

Without Orthodox theology how would we know Jesus?

I know you have to be regenerated to know Christ but without doctrine rightly set forth then you have no foundation.

Blade

Looks like Jesus was concerned w/ doctrine.
One cannot have a relationship w/ another without knowing the intimacies which make up that person, i.e. convictions etc.

Mat 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

Mat 22:33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Mar 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

Mar 1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

Mar 4:1 And he began again to teach by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land.
Mar 4:2 And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

Mar 11:18 And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine

Mar 12:38 And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,

Luk 4:32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

Joh 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

Joh 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Joh 18:19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.

Why were we given inspired Scripture in the first place?

It reveals to us Christ. It converts us (Ps 19:7), sanctifies us (John 17:17), and equips us for every good work (2 Tim 3:17).

The Scripture is profitable in making us complete and thoroughly equipping us for every good work because it is inspired of God to be used for DOCTRINE, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteouness. Where did the list start there for the things which Scripture is profitable?

[b:62a081b993]2 Timothy 3[/b:62a081b993]
16All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable [u:62a081b993]for doctrine[/u:62a081b993], for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Phillip

Doctrine is the science of living blessedly forever.

Theology is doctrone of living to God.

How can we live beofre Him and have a relationship without knowing something?

Saving faith = beleiving the proposition of the bible out of a regenerated heart. Without doctrine you have no faith.

Have you read Edwards on "Christian Knowledge?"

It is impossible to have spirituality without knowledge, and true knowledge without spirituality.

Churches that don't believe in teaching sound doctrines usually doesn't believe in separation from the world or practice holiness either.

Just as with 'free will' and 'predestination' we need to ask the person what they mean by the words 'doctrine' and 'theology'. Most people would define those things as dry, dead and confusing facts from archaic nerds from long ago. My former pastor never used the word 'doctrine' without the qualifiers 'cold and dead' in front of it. Obviously the congregation picked up on it and they also use the same speech.

Doctrine is simply the teachings of scripture.

Theology is what happens when God doesn't live up to our sentimental notions about him.

You need to demonstrate to these folks that their image of God is based on sentiment and experience and those are not good sources of truth.

The ultimate source of truth, true truth, is the Bible. What are it's teachings (doctrine)? Can we turn to the book of Sin, or the book of Jesus, no, so let's put together a 'systematic teaching' (confession) from scripture.

Get them to define the terms and then you will discover they aren't really against doctrine and theology but they may be clutching too closely to their comfort zone.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by maxdetail]

[b:a0bdebcba6]Don wrote:[/b:a0bdebcba6]
Just wondering how ya'll would respond to people who think that theology (doctrine) is not important and that all you need is a "personal relationship with Jesus"?

Doctrine helps us grow in and appreciate better our personal relationship with Jesus. It also helps us know if we actually do have a "personal relationship with Jesus" or if its just an unbiblical religious experience.

Its like saying that a person only needs to have a personal relationship with their spouse (and not necessarily according to the laws of the land), but its not important to learn about who they are, what makes them happy, what makes them sad, what skills they have, etc. Technically you might be married, but it doesn't sound like much of a relationship to me.

Bob

It is a matter of "a personal religious experience" versus "Biblical mandate or authiority."

We will encounter those who claim that their divine calling came through a personal experience, but when the scripture opposses their qualifications, their personal experience governs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back