Question on Paedobaptism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I'm not sure if the view you describe has a name, but it is close to Nestorianism, because alternation of natures is very close to division of natures. It is a bizarre view that you describe. I guess if I had the somewhat dubious honor of naming it, I should call it the "toggle switch" heresy.
I encountered it a lot while in Charismatic circles, as many taught that Jesus was divine, but that he pretty much just allowed His humanity to be on display, and all of His miracles , and even keeping from sinning, was due to Him fully relying upon the Holy Spirit.

God formally put the children of believers into the externally administered sphere of his covenant in Gen.17 (paraphrasing Warfield)

I like the wording of this statement. It has been a long time since I read B. B. Warfield on the subject of baptism. Where, exactly, does he make the argument that the children of believers are in the externally administered sphere of the covenant of grace?

As noted, the terms are mine and drawn from who knows how many sources; the thought that prompted them here is BBW's.

https://www.monergism.com/studies-theology-b-b-warfield
13. THE POLEMICS OF INFANT BAPTISM

closing words of the article:
"So long as it remains true that Paul represents the Church of the Living God to be one, founded on one covenant (which the law could not set aside) from Abraham to today, so long it remains true that the promise is to us and our children and that the members of the visible Church consist of believers and their children -- all of whom have a right to all the ordinances of the visible Church, each in its appointed season. The argument in a nutshell is simply this: God established His Church in the days of Abraham and put children into it. They must remain there until He puts them out. He has nowhere put them out. They are still then members of His Church and as such entitled to its ordinances. Among these ordinances is baptism, which standing in similar place in the New Dispensation to circumcision in the Old, is like it to be given to children."​

I like the wording of this statement. It has been a long time since I read B. B. Warfield on the subject of baptism. Where, exactly, does he make the argument that the children of believers are in the externally administered sphere of the covenant of grace?
Given that Baptists also would see children and young adults who have not yet been saved also under the influence of the church, teachers, saved parents etc., what would be the practical difference in regarding children being under the external new Covenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back