Question to those who mark up your Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
I have a question about highlighting products.

Personally I do not write or highlight in my bible because such tends to distract form the non-highlighted or underlined text that is just as important.

However, I have endeavored on a personal project purchasing a specific Bible that is not my primary one, but will be used as a self-made study Bible or sorts.

What I am doing is highlighting every verse that is used as a proof text in the confession, shorter catechism and larger catechism. I am also highlighting every verse in the OT that is referenced in the NT. So all the markings will be thought out and organized – no rampant thoughts or meditations etc.

Now for my request: I am looking into various highlighting tools and am looking for the best marker that will A) not bleed through the page, B) will not be too faint to be ineffective or too dark that it will blot out verses, and C) readily available in at least four different colors.

Do any of you know of any products that may work best for what I am doing?

I have a question about highlighting products.

Personally I do not write or highlight in my bible because such tends to distract form the non-highlighted or underlined text that is just as important.

However, I have endeavored on a personal project purchasing a specific Bible that is not my primary one, but will be used as a self-made study Bible or sorts.

What I am doing is highlighting every verse that is used as a proof text in the confession, shorter catechism and larger catechism. I am also highlighting every verse in the OT that is referenced in the NT. So all the markings will be thought out and organized – no rampant thoughts or meditations etc.

Now for my request: I am looking into various highlighting tools and am looking for the best marker that will A) not bleed through the page, B) will not be too faint to be ineffective or too dark that it will blot out verses, and C) readily available in at least four different colors.

Do any of you know of any products that may work best for what I am doing?

I have used colored pencils in the past; I don't highlight as much anymore.

I have one Bible I write or highlight in for study and I have another I use strictly for when I go to Church. Becaue as mentioned above, a marked up Bible is somewhat distracting in Church. I found myself often straying in my mind about why I had wrote things on the passage and not paying attention to the Bible teacher or the Pastor, whichever applies.

There are dry highlighters that can be used. I'm against marking up my Bible for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't like messing up the pages.
2. If I was to underline or highlight every important passage in Scripture then I would be highlighting and underlining everything.

I think drawing out a certain passage runs the risk of missing something you didn't catch before when you read it again because your eyes will be drawn to the highlighted portions. I read through the Scriptures every year and am constantly surprised at things I had never discovered before.

I read through the Scriptures every year and am constantly surprised at things I had never discovered before.

You may have said this somewhere in PB before, but: what system or schedule are you using to read through the Bible in a year? Are you starting with Genesis 1 on January 1 and read straight through, or are you reading in various places at the same time?:think:

By the way, I peaked at the last page of the Bible: God wins!;)

i've highlightened and marked in my books for several decades, a lot.
pens almost always bleed and show an impression mark on the flip side, pencils fade to nothing in a year. thin felt tip markers don't impress through to the other side, but on some paper the ink flows and the lines are fuzzy. but i like them the best for writting notes. real thin felt tip, the same very narrow pencil will tear the paper and be virtually invisible.....

highlighters really vary, i have a wide one and a narrow penlike one with a clear barrel, now on my table, i'll use them in a few minutes as i read, i use several colors. i can never predict if the paper in a new book will show the color through or not, this is the biggest problem, especially with visible in the barrel yellow highlighters, their ink appears to be the thinest and flows the most. most paperbacks will bleed the yellow through, the better the hardback apparently the better the paper can resist the color through. the same problem with fading, the lower grade paper allows the yellow to fade over time. you will just have to experiment with a new pen on a back page or a corner.

i really have a hard time reading library books, it just doesn't seem like reading unless my yellow highlighter is posed to markup the book *griN*

You may have said this somewhere in PB before, but: what system or schedule are you using to read through the Bible in a year? Are you starting with Genesis 1 on January 1 and read straight through, or are you reading in various places at the same time?:think:

I go from Genesis to Revelation. It's a schedule built by a computer program. I like moving from the OT to the NT. I really begin to look forward to getting to the NT by the time I'm through the prophets.
By the way, I peaked at the last page of the Bible: God wins!;)
Well thanks for ruining it for me! :mad: I'm in Jude right now and I was on the edge of my seat wondering how it was all going to turn out.

It's a schedule built by a computer program.

Did you do this, or was it already existing, and you discovered it? (Being an administrator, I'm inclined to think that you're a computer genius, and that you did it yourself.) How many years have you used this program?

Could you post an example: say, the reading schedule for January?

For what it's worth, A. W. Pink's schedule gets you through the entire Bible three times a year. I'm on my second way through, after starting about 2/3rds of the way through the year. It's great. 8 chapters in the Old, 2 in the New. I've been struggling a little recently, being sick and all, but usually that many chapters gets you through the harder parts quickly. I recommend it.

Did you do this, or was it already existing, and you discovered it? (Being an administrator, I'm inclined to think that you're a computer genius, and that you did it yourself.) How many years have you used this program?

Could you post an example: say, the reading schedule for January?

It was just PC Study Bible. I'm not a computer genius. I'm no slouch but it's not my area of expertise per se.

My schedule is attached (I prefer whole chapters so it ends 2 days before the end of the year). It was generated in 2005 but it works fine for all but leap years. The thing I did was make it so it would fit on one double-sided piece of paper that I include folded inside my Bible.

It was just PC Study Bible. I'm not a computer genius. I'm no slouch but it's not my area of expertise per se.

My schedule is attached (I prefer whole chapters so it ends 2 days before the end of the year). It was generated in 2005 but it works fine for all but leap years. The thing I did was make it so it would fit on one double-sided piece of paper that I include folded inside my Bible.

Thanks, Rich. That's interesting.

For what it's worth, A. W. Pink's schedule gets you through the entire Bible three times a year. I'm on my second way through, after starting about 2/3rds of the way through the year. It's great. 8 chapters in the Old, 2 in the New. I've been struggling a little recently, being sick and all, but usually that many chapters gets you through the harder parts quickly. I recommend it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that, would you, old bean?

ChristopherPaul;

I use whatever brand I happen to have laying around...at the moment, it's Avery, they come in different colors as well..

I also use ink pens (all colors) to make notes in my bible, again whatever
I have available at the time.

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that, would you, old bean?

Letters of A.W. Pink - Banner of Truth Trust - December 18th, 1933

page 23.
In my early years I assiduously followed this threefold course: first, I read through the entire Bible three times a year( eight chapters in the Old Testament, and two in the New Testament daily ). I steadily persevered in this for ten years, in order to familiarize myself with its contents, which can only be done by consecutive reading.
It's good for ye. He was such a blessed brother! Has anyone read his biography by Iain Murray? I greatly enjoyed it.

I used to have multiple Bibles. One for eschatology, one for prophecy, one for all the TULIP verses, etc. Then a blank one so as to read the text freshly.

I have an Old Ryrie Study Bible (NASB) from my Word of Life days (circa 1983). It is marked up extensively. I am able to trace the beginnings of my Arminian theology because I dated each sidenote. If you were to look at the dates you would also see my theology begin to change to what it is today. So more than highlighting, I actually make notes in the margins. I find it amazing to see the changes that took place in my theological life over a 23 year period.

Isn't that interesting! I have an old Ryrie Study Bible as well. I gave it to my Dad Years ago. I think I purchased mine in 1982, the year I got married. Plenty of notes as well, but none that aid me in tracing my wrongly held views and doctrines.

I have an Old Ryrie Study Bible (NASB) from my Word of Life days (circa 1983). It is marked up extensively. I am able to trace the beginnings of my Arminian theology because I dated each sidenote. If you were to look at the dates you would also see my theology begin to change to what it is today. So more than highlighting, I actually make notes in the margins. I find it amazing to see the changes that took place in my theological life over a 23 year period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back