Questions asked by an Arminian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChristian

Puritan Board Freshman
I was recently asked 3 questions by an Arminian whom I was having a dialouge with on the fourm Facebook what follows are his questions and my response feedback is most appreciated.

Question 1:
If a man had not been given eternal salvation by the free grace of God, i.e. effectually called from his native state of sin... and death, could he even run in the so-called salvation-race?

Question 2:
What is the salvation involved in the salvation-race run? What kind of salvation does his running secure for him?

Question 3:
Is your ultimate salvation dependent upon your running well to the end?
Is your expectation to be saved ultimately dependent or conditioned upon your running to the end?

Answers:

1.No because the will of man will fail every time his natural state only allows him to rebell. 1st Samuel 15:3 Romans 8:7 and 1:21-23.

2..The salvation involved in the race is that work of the holy spirit by calling to election Romans 9 John 6:37:-44. Regeneration by the holy spirit ezekiel 36;25-26 18:21-31 Phil 1:6. Justification by Christ through the atonement Hebrews 9:22 Leviticus 17:11 and sanctification by the spirit Phil 1:6 Galatians 5:22-27. It secures our salvation and blessings of God. Christ said his sheep will not be cast out John 6 and 10 but called back seeking that which is lost.

3It is dependent on God's work proverbs 16;33 Jonah 2:9 Romans 9:21 not what we do our faith and work is dead a byproduct of the natural man which must be repented of when recieving the new nature..

Good questions and responses, comment below.

Comments brief for the intended format.

I was recently asked 3 questions by an Arminian whom I was having a dialouge with on the fourm Facebook what follows are his questions and my response feedback is most appreciated.

Question 1:
If a man had not been given eternal salvation by the free grace of God, i.e. effectually called from his native state of sin... and death, could he even run in the so-called salvation-race?

Man is born with a nature that is in bondage to sin, which prevents man from a saving faith toward a holy God, unless God first intervenes to change man's nature.

Question 2:
What is the salvation involved in the salvation-race run? What kind of salvation does his running secure for him?

Salvation may be thought of as a process that begins with the internal change of the constituent nature of a human being. Eventually, it leads to an eternal (glorified) body in heaven.

Question 3:
Is your ultimate salvation dependent upon your running well to the end?
Is your expectation to be saved ultimately dependent or conditioned upon your running to the end?

Not ultimately. Your faith will, over time, however, be evidenced by the way you behave. Remember, God has changed your inner nature, forever, to the end of His Honor and His Glory. Not perfection, but God's grace will become evident over time.

Answers:

1.No because the will of man will fail every time his natural state only allows him to rebell. 1st Samuel 15:3 Romans 8:7 and 1:21-23.

Good.

2..The salvation involved in the race is that work of the holy spirit by calling to election Romans 9 John 6:37:-44. Regeneration by the holy spirit ezekiel 36;25-26 18:21-31 Phil 1:6. Justification by Christ through the atonement Hebrews 9:22 Leviticus 17:11 and sanctification by the spirit Phil 1:6 Galatians 5:22-27. It secures our salvation and blessings of God. Christ said his sheep will not be cast out John 6 and 10 but called back seeking that which is lost.

Yes.

3It is dependent on God's work proverbs 16;33 Jonah 2:9 Romans 9:21 not what we do our faith and work is dead a byproduct of the natural man which must be repented of when recieving the new nature..

Might add, that we are saved by faith alone, but by a faith that is never alone (it is a living, active faith that affects the way we behave).

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

The Westminster Larger Catechism summarizes the doctrine of Scripture:

Q. 32. How is the grace of God manifested in the second covenant?

A. The grace of God is manifested in the second covenant, in that he freely provideth and offereth to sinners a Mediator,[115] and life and salvation by him;[116] and requiring faith as the condition to interest them in him,[117] promiseth and giveth his Holy Spirit[118] to all his elect, to work in them that faith,[119] with all other saving graces;[120] and to enable them unto all holy obedience,[121] as the evidence of the truth of their faith[122] and thankfulness to God,[123] and as the way which he hath appointed them to salvation.[124]

Scripture proofs
[115] Genesis 3:15. And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Isaiah 42:6. I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles. John 6:27. Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

[116] 1 John 5:11-12. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

[117] John 3:16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 1:12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

[118] Proverbs 1:23. Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

[119] 2 Corinthians 4:13. We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak.

[120] Galatians 5:22-23. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

[121] Ezekiel 36:27. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

[122] James 2:18, 22. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.... Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

[123] 2 Corinthians 5:14-15. For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

[124] Ephesians 2:18. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back