Questions Regarding Faith, Hope, Charity, and the Beatific Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I had a conversation one time with a friend who is a Roman Catholic. He made an interesting argument to the effect that the Reformed confound faith and hope. Faith for a Roman Catholic is just assent (which is why in part that JBFA seems like such a strange doctrine to them). To put it somewhat simply, hope is putting one's trust in God, but for the Reformers trust was a constituent of faith. Therefore, the Reformers confounded these two theological virtues.

Another question. Faith in Scripture is often opposed to sight (1 Cor. 5:7). Likewise, one does not hope in what he sees (Rom 8:24). Therefore, in the beatific vision all that we'll have is charity; faith and hope will no longer be necessary. Will we stop trusting in Christ in the Beatific Vision? Someone try to help me get a nuanced position of these issues.

Here is a long quote from Thomas Manton, which might help get your wheels rolling:

The nature of this faith I express by a trust and confidence. There is in faith an assent, which is sufficient when the object requireth no more. As there are some speculative principles which are merely to be believed, as they lead on to other things, Hebrews 11:3, there an intellectual assent sufficeth. But there are other things which are propounded, not only as true, but good. There, not only an intellectual assent is required, but a practical assent, or such as is joined with consent and affiance; as suppose when Christ promiseth eternal life to the serious Christian or mortified believer; there must be not only an assent, or a believing that this proposal and offer is Christ’s, and that it is true; but there must be a consent to choose it for my portion and happiness, and then a confidence and dependence upon Christ for it, though it lie out of sight, and in the meantime I be exercised with sundry difficulties and temptations. Trust is not a bare opinion of Christ’s fidelity, but a dependence upon his word. I do believe there is a God, and that there is a Christ, I do well. I do believe that this God in Christ hath brought life and immortality to light, I do well still; but I must do more. I believe that he hath assured his disciples and followers, that if they continue faithful with him, they shall have eternal life: John 5:24, ‘Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation.’ I know that Christ hath fidelity and sufficiency enough to make good his word. This is well, but I must go farther; that is to say, I must choose this eternal life that is offered to me for my felicity and portion; this is consent: and I must continue with patience in well doing, depending upon his faithful word whilst I am in the pursuit of it; this is trust or confidence. As this world is vanity, and hath nothing in it worthy to be compared with the hopes which Christ hath given me of a better life, so I choose it for my happiness. But as I judge him faithful that hath promised, and depend upon him that he will make good his word, though this happiness be future, and lieth in another, an unseen, an unknown world, to which there is no coming but by faith, this is the trust, and by that name it is often expressed in scripture. It is nothing else but a sure and comfortable dependence upon God through Jesus Christ, in the way of well-doing, for the gift of eternal life: Psalm 112:7, ‘His heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.’ So Isaiah 26:3, ‘Thou keepest him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee.’ The New Testament also useth this term, 2 Corinthians 3:4, ‘Such trust have we through Christ to Godward;’ and 1 Timothy 4:10, ‘For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God.’ Well, then, this trust is more than an assent or bare persuasion of the mind that the promises are true; yea, it is more than a motion of the will towards them as good and satisfying; for it noteth a quiet repose of the heart on the fidelity and mercy of God in Christ, that he will give this blessedness, if we do in the first place seek after it. The more we cherish this confidence, the more sure we are of our interest, both in Christ and the promise: Hebrews 3:6, ‘Whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence, and rejoicing of hope firm unto the end;’ and verse 14, ‘We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end;’ and Hebrews 10:35, a little before the text, ‘Cast not away your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.’ In all which places confidence noteth our resolute engaging in the heavenly life, because we depend upon Christ’s rewards in another world. In our passage to heaven we meet with manifold temptations; we are assaulted both on the right hand and on the left with the terrors of sense, which are a discouragement to us, and the delights of sense, which are a snare to us. Confidence or trust fortifieth us against both these temptations, the difficulties, dangers, and sufferings which we meet with in our passage to heaven, yea, though it should be death itself; for faith seeth the end glorious, and that the salvation of our souls is sure and near if we continue faithful with Christ. On the other side, affiance or trust draweth the heart to better things, and we can easily want or miss the contentments of the flesh, the pomp, and ease, and pleasure of the present life, because our hearts are in heaven, and we have more excellent things in view and pursuit. ‘.This breedeth a weanedness from the baits of the flesh, and a rejection and contempt of what would take us off from the pursuit of eternal life: 1 Corinthians 9:26, 27, ‘I run not as one that is uncertain;’ as if he had said, I am confident, therefore I am mortified to the world.​

"The Excellency of Saving Faith" in Works 2:145-146

Thanks, Reuben. It is certainly a start to answering my question. Not only that, but it is also very edifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back