Questions Regarding KJV Translators

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Greetings,

I was reading The Translators To The Reader in one of my KJVs yesterday. Can someone please expand on the reference to the Puritans, who the translators speak less than favourably about?

And who were the translators? I don't need a list of names, but who they were as a group. Learned pastors? University men?

I know this doesn't mean puritans in general. I'm assuming it is more of a political reference, but I would like some input on the situation please.

Thank you.

The KJV was meant to be a consensus translation that would be acceptable to the broad spectrum of readers. This is typical of the Anglican mindset. The Puritans were however seen as fanatical schismatics. While some of the selcted translators were meant to be a nod to evangelical and puritan sensibilities, they were, on the whole, all within the mainstream establishment. That is not to say they were not top-notch scholars—they were. It just means that also enjoyed the favor of the King and bishops. King James was keen on avoiding what he saw as the puritanical and anti-monarchial excesses of the Geneva Bible.

Last edited:
Thank you, Pastor Sheffield.

That is my favourite historical time period; I have a number of books lined up for reading once my twin boys are a bit older, and I have the time.

You might enjoy reading about Erasmus' development of the Greek text from which the KJV NT was translated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back