Questions Regarding the LBCF On Communion

Status
Not open for further replies.
LBCF 30.2 says:

This is specifically using the term memorial contra the papists. This is not a denial of the supper as means of grace to be taken by faith as it elsewhere affirms this in the catechism and LBCF 30.7

Also note that the WCF is not the standard for the LBCF, but rather the Savoy Declaration was the standard. And if you note the text of the Savoy in 30.2, it is identical to the LBCF excepting the sacrament/ordinance phrasing. Thus you would likewise have to say that the Independents did not have a reformed doctrine of the supper if you are to deny it to the particular baptists.

EDIT: Having just gone to reference the WCF: The change in phrasing from commemoration in the WCF to memorial in the Savoy is not large, just a shift into Biblical phrasing ("do this in remembrance of me") as, if I recall, was popular among the Independents. It was not, however, meant to show a different in doctrine.
So this would be like when the WCF states Sacrament, while the LBCF would see it in terms of an Ordinance? Using different terms, but with similar vested meanings still intended in them?

"The Savoy Declaration is merely a modification of the Westminster Confession to suit the Congregational polity.”

The Creeds of Christendom, edited by Philip Schaff and revised by Donald S. Schaff, 6thed., vol. III, The Evangelical Protestant Creeds (1931; reprint, Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1983-2007), 718.

So this would be like when the WCF states Sacrament, while the LBCF would see it in terms of an Ordinance? Using different terms, but with similar vested meanings still intended in them?

The WCF and the LBCF intend the same things by the terms sacrament/ordinance. As Sean pointed out, the LBCF change to ordinance was not a doctrinal difference but rather a concession in terms of phrasing and emphasis.

"The Savoy Declaration is merely a modification of the Westminster Confession to suit the Congregational polity.”

The Creeds of Christendom, edited by Philip Schaff and revised by Donald S. Schaff, 6thed., vol. III, The Evangelical Protestant Creeds (1931; reprint, Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1983-2007), 718.

Which is my point - the LBCF maintains the same doctrine of the supper as the SD. Hence, also for the WCF.

Jonathan,
I concede. There are no true differences in either of the three mentioned confessions on the LS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back