Quick question on formatting - Puritan Index / Texts

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hello all. Quick question. Something has kind of been nagging at me about these text; both in the Logos Index, and the PDFs of the transcribed Puritan texts. So this is kind of a survey/question. Something tells me that I should go ahead and remove all Italics from the text, even at the expense of doing so to the limited Latin, since 17th century literature is known for (At least with my research) for almost a horrible over-indulgence in the practice of Italicizing. So, as a potential reader, even if in theory; what would yall recommend I do, have a text littered with Italics, though the limited Latin will be Italicized too; or have all the Italics removed; though the limited Latin will not have them? I am for removing it; but that is only my limited opinion having little experience with publishing or dealing with older works. Thanks everybody in advance. God Bless.

Italics was used for quotations, Latin, emphasis, and on that score they tended to emphasis names. It is only the last that needs removing. If you remove it wholesale you will lose quotations, which modern approach is to remove and enclose in quotation marks. Unless you have some discriminating way to do this across all the works, it probably is best to leave it all for the sake of the quotations.
Hello all. Quick question. Something has kind of been nagging at me about these text; both in the Logos Index, and the PDFs of the transcribed Puritan texts. So this is kind of a survey/question. Something tells me that I should go ahead and remove all Italics from the text, even at the expense of doing so to the limited Latin, since 17th century literature is known for (At least with my research) for almost a horrible over-indulgence in the practice of Italicizing. So, as a potential reader, even if in theory; what would yall recommend I do, have a text littered with Italics, though the limited Latin will be Italicized too; or have all the Italics removed; though the limited Latin will not have them? I am for removing it; but that is only my limited opinion having little experience with publishing or dealing with older works. Thanks everybody in advance. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back