R.C.H. Lenski - Commentary of the New Testament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lenski lets his presupps get in the way on Romans 9. He is a faithful, conservative, confessional, Lutheran (which means he is not Martin Lutheran on the Bondage of the Will).

However, overall I give Lenski a "BUY" rating. His handling of the Greek is normally very good and generally highly readable. He just can't let Romans 9 speak for itself, and has to filter it through his theological, Melancthonian grid every now andf then.

Lenski is the older American conservative Lutheran voice on the NT. H.C. Leupold is the Old Testament voice. I have profited from both.

[Edited on 9-19-2005 by Contra_Mundum]

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
Lenski lets his presupps get in the way on Romans 9. He is a faithful, conservative, confessional, Lutheran (which means he is not Martin Lutheran on the Bondage of the Will).

However, overall I give Lenski a "BUY" rating. His handling of the Greek is normally very good and generally highly readable. He just can't let Romans 9 speak for itself, and has to filter it through his theological, Melancthonian grid every now andf then.

Is he clear on total depravity (as per Romans 3)? It seems to me the reason that Luther was so clear on election was because he was so clear on total depravity/inability (a la "Bondage of the Will").

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum

Lenski is the older American conservative Lutheran voice on the NT. H.C. Leupold is the Old Testament voice. I have profited from both.

[Edited on 9-19-2005 by Contra_Mundum]

What do you think of Leupold's 1959 commentary on the Psalms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back