Rachel did not rest with Jacob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
It occurred to me as I was reading through Genesis the other day that Rachel did not rest with Jacob.

Jacob is speaking here:
(Genesis 49:31) There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife. There they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife, and there I buried Leah--
Yes, I realize that Rachel died on the way to Bethlehem but there is no reason why her body could not have been taken to the tomb where the fathers were buried.

It struck me as interesting that Leah was buried there because she was not loved, at first, by Jacob because she was the unattractive one. It seems that while Rachel had her looks and the immediate affection of Jacob, Leah ends up with the honor of being buried in the tomb.

I guess my question is this: Was Rachel under a curse?
(Genesis 31:32) Anyone with whom you find your gods shall not live. In the presence of our kinsmen point out what I have that is yours, and take it." Now Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen them.
Without coming out and stating it explicitly, the above does seem to be the reason why Rachel dies during childbirth.

Also, her death, and naming her son Ben-oni, seems to indicate one who dies with little faith. Her weeping is even pictured as one who weeps without hope. (Jer 31:15, Matt 2:18).

Thoughts?

[Edited on 1-19-2006 by SemperFideles]

Wow . . . I never caught that before. It certainly is sad :(

I too would like to hear anyone's input regarding those passages and their possible connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back