RAPTURE PRANK! You *must* see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably the only one who is going to throw cold water on this joke. I think it was horrible. It just plays on the fears associated with those who are deceived by dispensationalism. That poor girl was in tears and terrified. I didn't find it funny at all.

I could not make it all the way through. I was not impressed at all.

"Do unto others..."

As much of a jokester I am, I agree with Bill on this (But this isn't a jab toward you, Kerry, as I know you didn't mean it in a bad way).

Here's a professing Christian who's been taught the things many of us were taught growing up, and her hope has been dashed to pieces when she walks in the room...she falls to her knees thinking, "But I thought I was a Christian?" And you could tell she thought it because she was incredulous that she'd not been taken! That was a pretty cruel joke...and then the "spiritual" introducer set it up as if it were teaching her a lesson in order to justify it. Talk about disillusionment and her friends being a stumbling block. Sheesh.

Very bad taste by her friends.

May the Lord heal the mass ignorance of those caught up in Dispensationalism and its eschatology. :pray2:

:ditto:

Dispensationalism...:down:

I guess most people are agreed that it was a bad-taste/cruel sort of joke. But, we still have to deal with 1 Thessalonians 4:17, which is, after all, part of the Word of God, despite the jokes we make about it (and despite how it's been "ruined" by dispensationalism): Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

How can the Reformed view of the Rapture be summarized?

I guess most people are agreed that it was a bad-taste/cruel sort of joke. But, we still have to deal with 1 Thessalonians 4:17, which is, after all, part of the Word of God, despite the jokes we make about it (and despite how it's been "ruined" by dispensationalism): Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

Good question Richard. Eschatology is a subject I am not too familiar with but need to be. Other than being opposed to dispensationalism, I am not altogether sure what, exactly, a Reformed eschatology would look like, and how passages like 1 Thes. 4:17 should be understood.

A Brief Sketch of Amillennial Eschatology

Hoekema addresses that halfway through this article under " As regards future eschatology, amillennialism affirms the following:" (see #5).

all orthodox eschatological positions have a 'rapture' (saints caught up in the air to meet Christ). It's just simultaneous with the return of Christ.

As much of a jokester I am, I agree with Bill on this (But this isn't a jab toward you, Kerry, as I know you didn't mean it in a bad way).

Here's a professing Christian who's been taught the things many of us were taught growing up, and her hope has been dashed to pieces when she walks in the room...she falls to her knees thinking, "But I thought I was a Christian?" And you could tell she thought it because she was incredulous that she'd not been taken! That was a pretty cruel joke...and then the "spiritual" introducer set it up as if it were teaching her a lesson in order to justify it. Talk about disillusionment and her friends being a stumbling block. Sheesh.

Very bad taste by her friends.

May the Lord heal the mass ignorance of those caught up in Dispensationalism and its eschatology. :pray2:
Agreed! As a master prankster, and having been guilty of some mean stuff in Boarding School and College..........even I thought this in rather bad taste.

Last edited:
Agreed! As a master prankster, and having been guilty of some mean stuff in Boarding School and College.........

Max - yes, I must come clean and admitt that I was a prankster in college. I was a master at putting Saran Wrap on commode seats. I am still repenting of those days.

Max - yes, I must come clean and admitt that I was a prankster in college. I was a master at putting Saran Wrap on commode seats. I am still repenting of those days.

Dude, you're bad!! Kinda like putting the hand of someone whose sleeping in a warm container of water or filling their hand with shaving cream and...uh, never mind. These are just things I've heard that other people have done...not that I would know anything about such foolishness...really...

Did ya'll think she was REALLY surprised? I thought she was acting - I think the whole deal is an act, through and through.

Well, the poor girl seemed truly distressed. I remember the trauma I felt after having been exposed to "A thief in the night" as an 8 year old - seeing this girls reaction brought back some of those memories, though obviously they have no hold on me now.

Seems like this Left Behind videos have a legacy in the same way as A thief in the night did in the 70's/80's

Same

I'm probably the only one who is going to throw cold water on this joke. I think it was horrible. It just plays on the fears associated with those who are deceived by dispensationalism. That poor girl was in tears and terrified. I didn't find it funny at all.

I feel the same. This was cruel.

The guy who introduced it made me want to vomit.

"What do you do to someone [who has been taught bad theology]? You play a joke on them!"

So much for teaching others the Lord's ways.

I've never really thought of this before, but is there any scriptural reason why Dispensationalists or anyone else assume that folks will be raptured in the nude...? :think:

As for a Reformed view of the rapture, I Thessalonians 4 is quite explicit about those events. My dad used to preach a sermon on this passage entitled "The Noisiest Verse in the Bible" in order to contrast it with the notion of a secret rapture.

I Thessalonians 4:15-18
4:15
For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we that are alive, that are left unto the coming of the Lord, shall in no wise precede them that are fallen asleep.

4:16
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first;

4:17
then we that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

4:18
Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I think she was acting. Or at least suspected she was on America's Funniest, or something. That's just my gut-feeling, though.

I don't think it seemed very genuine, either.

And the whole concept of that show, or whatever it is, makes me quite angry.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever should be pranked by Him will not die, but have everlasting life.

Prank 3:16

face_really.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back