Read With Me: ‘Why I Preach from the Received Text: An Anthology of Essays by Reformed Ministers’

• Thread starter Deleted member 12919 by request
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the spurious nature of some sources, it is also not uncommon for earlier authors (Durham, Gillespie, Bownd) before the cases were made or widely known against them, to cite what are now known as spurious or miss-attributed works as the basis of arguments. In other words, I wouldn't knock Turretin too hard on this, unless the case had been made and widely known by his time against Sinensis's sources.

Sure, I'm not one to just ad hominem disregard other things an obviously capable person wrote because they blundered in certain matters.

Still, I find it curious that the stated complaint was that Latin translators supposedly disregarded what they found in Greek manuscripts - but isn't it the case that virtually all of the extant examples of the Comma are in fact contained in Latin manuscripts, while it is absent from virtually all extant Greek manuscripts? So unless it were supposed most of "all the Greek" manuscripts asserted as evidence were lost between the 4th century (Jerome/pseudo-Jerome) and 17th century (Turretin)--which I've never seen proposed--you would think its relative absence in the Greek would be a somewhat known convention among third generation Reformed scholars, and a relatively easy issue to verify.

In terms of the collection containing Hyginus' letter, which accompanied the extremely notorious Donation of Constantine, it seems these writings were widely believed to have been a terrific hoax beginning in the 15th century - as was first demonstrated by a RC scholar! For sure, some Catholics were slow to give the collection up as spurious (ala, obviously, Sinensis), but Protestants were often quite eager to point this out to their Catholic antagonists.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about Turretin's circumstances to make a full assessment, but it does seem he may have been hasty in the matter, at least in accepting Sinensis' stated arguments.

I don't know anything about the subject. It is interesting he doesn't repeat it in the second case. There were doubts on all sorts of things but it took a while, for example, for works assigned to Augustine, or Chrysostom, to work there way out after newer critical editions were published.
Admittedly, I don't know enough about Turretin's circumstances to make a full assessment, but it does seem he may have been hasty in the matter, at least in accepting Sinensis' stated arguments.

Dr Matthew Everhard has posted an interview video today with Dane Johannsson and Brett Mahlen who both authored articles in the book. I debated in my mind if to share here or on the more active thread but I think this might be the better place. Enjoy.

Dr Matthew Everhard has posted an interview video today with Dane Johannsson and Brett Mahlen who both authored articles in the book. I debated in my mind if to share here or on the more active thread but I think this might be the better place. Enjoy.

Two OPC boys ganging up on a PCA brother. Shameful.

Two OPC boys ganging up on a PCA brother. Shameful.
Yeah, you guys were pretty nasty to him.

Seriously, though, I just listened to it on the commute home, and the conversation blessed me. I especially appreciated your and Rev. Mahlen's demeanor—very brotherly and warm.

I also did not know you were a student at GPTS. My pastor graduated from there. And although I didn't go there, I am very thankful for it. It is a very positive influence on our presbytery.

Yeah, you guys were pretty nasty to him.

Seriously, though, I just listened to it on the commute home, and the conversation blessed me. I especially appreciated your and Rev. Mahlen's demeanor—very brotherly and warm.

I also did not know you were a student at GPTS. My pastor graduated from there. And although I didn't go there, I am very thankful for it. It is a very positive influence on our presbytery.
I'm glad it was helpful. Both of those men are wonderful and godly brothers so it was easy to be brotherly.

Yes, I am loving my time at GPTS. It is a rare gem.

I was happy to see both men reject the "Satan's Bible" comment as unhelpful. I figured they would. Both are very reasonable men. I was also happy to see the NKJV get some love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back