Reading more quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I almost posted this under the prayer category, but decided not to because it would be such a "trivial" prayer request. (however, your prayers are more than welcome and coveted).

The more I learn about reformed theology (or, more correctly, what reformed theologians have gleaned from the scriptures), the more I want to learn. There are a lot of books that I'd like to read, but unfortunately I'm a fairly slow reader.

I've decided to try improve my reading speed. From what I've read, there are two very common bad reading habits - rereading words and subvocalization (saying the words internally as you read).

I know that I subvocalize as I read and I probably reread words and phrases. I'm trying to retrain my brain so that I don't subvocalize as I read, but I have found that old habits are a little hard to break.

Has anybody been down the same road and could you offer advice about how to overcome subvocalization? Could anybody recommend a good book (a short book, for now :duh: ) that talks about this? Has anybody used any of the "speed reading" software that's available and found it useful?

I can still remember my elementary teachers telling us not to say every word as we read - they just never said how to read if you don't.

Thanks,
Bob

Honestly, the best way to speed read is to take 2 months and memorize one whole scripture a day. After memorizing so much, your brain is used to it, and the act of reading actually becomes easier.

This is how it worked for me. But in my case, I memorized 25-30 greek words everyday for a whole summer. As a result, my reading ability improved because reading English was easier. My mind was ready for it at that time. Now I can read a book in no time flat, even in old English.

That is how I helped my wife become a reader. She memorizes and goes over memory verses every day (about 60-80 of them at a whack.) (Yes, she impresses even me, by God's grace.)

We bought "Mega Speed Reading" by Howard Stephenberg.

The boys have studied it a little, and I plan on going through it soon. They said it helped a little so far, but we haven't really gotten into it yet. It's a tape series that takes about 6 hours or so to go through. You need to set up the time so you can do it uninterrupted, that's why we didn't do it yet.;)

You can pick it up on ebay pretty cheap if you're interested.

I agree that memorization helps tremendously.

I would also add, if you "subvocalize" all you need to do is learn to talk faster!:bouncy:

Phillip

Wannabee,
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna do the scripture memory first and then check into the reading program later this summer. If you get time to use it, let me know how much it helps. (6 hours of uninterrupted time??? - Well, the youngest one graduates from high school in around 10 years...)

[b:bd48f59a9f]pastorway wrote:[/b:bd48f59a9f]
I agree that memorization helps tremendously.

I'm looking forward to starting the memorization tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can memorize Matthew 13 this summer. When I use to work in AWANA, we always stressed to the kids how important it is to memorize the scriptures and how it will help them at school. Time to practice what we preach.

[b:bd48f59a9f]pastorway wrote:[/b:bd48f59a9f]
...if you "subvocalize" all you need to do is learn to talk faster!:bouncy:

Now why didn't I think of that!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

[Edited on 6-17-2003 by blhowes]

A few years ago I swa an infomercial for something called photoreading. It was not like skim reading. They promised that your speed would increase at least three times or your money back. The guy who did it could read an entire book in about five minytes and answer specific questions. But I can't remeber the number etc. Maybe go to the library and ask the librarian to attempt to hunt down the subject of photoreading

"Photo reading" - stay away from it!

[quote:f86dfe2407][i:f86dfe2407]Originally posted by Preach[/i:f86dfe2407]
A few years ago I swa an infomercial for something called photoreading. It was not like skim reading. They promised that your speed would increase at least three times or your money back. The guy who did it could read an entire book in about five minytes and answer specific questions. But I can't remeber the number etc. Maybe go to the library and ask the librarian to attempt to hunt down the subject of photoreading [/quote:f86dfe2407]

I saw the same infomercial a few years ago, and then again a couple years after that. I decided to read up on it, and it's basically a "reading philosophy" to try to train your mind to "photograph" pages while taking the text in. From what I remember reading about it, it involves a lot of New Age concepts to try and "focus" your mind, get your brain harmonizing and functioning in the right way, etc. Lots of Eastern thought that reminded me of Buddhism, actually :barfy:. The more reviews I read about it online, the more I heard the New Age factors mentioned. So while I myself struggle very much with my reading speed and would LOVE to improve as well, that "photo reading" thing is definitely not the way to go, although I can relate that it sounds very intriguing if you just see the infomercial.

[Edited on 3-22-2004 by Me Died Blue]

Indeed, there are some speed reading books out there that you can do by yourself or in a group. Someone to do the timing or a timer is good so you don't slow yourself down looking at your watch :roll:

Most, as have been mentioned, work on skimming which is good when you are seeing some results, but 30 years after I did a couple I find myself having to stop skimming cuz the gray matter are a little darker and things don't get through quite as well :rolleyes:

A number of years ago there was a Christian course that I had heard was pretty good. A good book store should be able to order something if they don't carry it.

I think the best pointer has already been given - you naturally speed up with time -- unless you are older and have a reading/learing disability/hindrance.

Reading is a good way to help me fall asleep. I suppose I could just count Bouncies also.

zzzzzzz:bouncy:zzzzzzzz:bouncy:zzzzzzz:bouncy:zzzzzzzzzzz:bouncy:zzzzzzzzz:bouncy:

I've heard Power Reading by Rick Ostrov is pretty good.

Has anyone ever tried any of the memory systems? Harry Lorayne has a few good books on memory improvement. The methods have actually been around for hundreds of years and work, especially if you have a good imagination. Dominic O'brien, the 8-time world memory champ, also has some good books. His methods are pretty much the same as Lorayne's with a little variation. Dominic memorized like 54 decks of shuffled cards with under 5 mistakes in recall.

When all is said and done, don't forget to enjoy reading and what you read. Sometimes it's good to go slow.

I've done a couple of SpeedReading as well as "MegaMemory" type courses. My humble opinion is, they are mainly gimmicky and work well for only certain types of reading.

One technique involved that does work however, is UNDERLINING each sentence as you read it (with your finger) as well as not subvocalizing as your read. You'd be able to cover a whole page pretty quickly because you can underline very quickly and your eyes are able to keep up. But as far as retention goes, I've found these techniques lacking. And for the type of reading that most of us are doing, I think you're best off just reading the best you can. These techniques don't work when you're reading materials that have so much practical application, such as theology. You can't take the time to let things really sink in.

For fiction, history, and other narrative, it works much better. Its a good way to go through those parts of a book more quickly and save the more "meditative" portions for a natural, relaxed pace.

Perhaps someone has used these techniques with more success than I, and if so, I humbly concede. Just my :2cents:

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
One technique involved that does work however, is UNDERLINING each sentence as you read it (with your finger) as well as not subvocalizing as your read. You'd be able to cover a whole page pretty quickly because you can underline very quickly and your eyes are able to keep up.
I'll give that a try.

For me, the subvocalizing is my main problem. I'm getting better at shutting up as I read, but its a bad, life-long habit that's tough to shake.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
So Bob...

The Scripture memorization thing (that Webmaster recommended) didn't work for you?
Thanks for asking. I'm gonna give that another try. I lacked the discipline needed and ended up only doing it for around 3 weeks or so. (I don't know if I have the discipline now, but will try)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back