Reading the Marrow of Modern Divinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Good day, brethren and sistren. I am getting ready to embark upon reading the "Marrow of Modern Divinity" with Boston's notes, the edition published by Christian Focus. I am excited as this has been on my list for some time.
I have a few questions to those who have read it. My first question would be, did you read through it and then go over Boston's lengthier discourses or did you read those when it pertained to the section you were at? This would require shipping back and forth in the edition that I have. This isn't a huge ordeal as it just may feel awkward at first.
My second question would be, does anyone have a copy of the reading plan that was discussed on this thread?

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/book-giveaway-the-marrow-of-modern-divinity.65313/

Did the site in the above thread move or just shut down?

Deo Volente,
Robert

It's going to be a treat. I never made it all the way through (true confessions) but absolutely loved studying through the first half or so.

I would read it slowly going through Thomas Boston's footnotes as you read. It is a bit of a pain, though Boston's notes are generally excellent and reveal the breadth of his learning. One area where I think that Boston is mistaken is that he seems to interpret Edward Fisher's statements to the effect that "Christ is dead for you" as congruous with his own Strict Particularism. While Boston is correct to vindicate Fisher from allegations of Amyraldianism and Arminian notions of universal atonement, I think the evidence indicates that Fisher was an English Hypothetical Universalist in the school of James Ussher, John Davenant, and John Preston. Despite my disagreements with HU, I thought that the book was largely excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back