Reading Vos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I recently bought Vos' Biblical Theology, OT eschatology, and Pauline eschatology.

Does it matter which order I read them in? I would like to start with the smaller OT eschatology, but I am not sure if it builds on other books.

I read Biblical Theology first, then Pauline Eschatology and have since been reading some of his smaller works. I have not yet read the OT book, but wonder if his Eschatology of the Psalter, reprinted in the back of Pauline Eschatology might give you a taste for which route you want to go. (Assuming we have the same edition; if not, the Psalter writing is available online.)

Do you have the original languages? With these smaller writings, I've been taking the time to look up references in the Greek (where applicable) and it makes me realize how much I missed reading his larger volumes. Also, you might find a way to mark Bible references as you go along. A few pages into a discussion, he will suddenly focus on one word or phrase of a particular verse, and I'd find myself pawing back through to find the exact reference again. (I found having the KJV handy too.)

Reading Vos has been one of the most important transitions for me since my early days of faith. I''m currently reading something by Abraham Kuyper, but want to jump back into Vos when I'm done.

I do have the Eschatology of the Psalter. I will start with that. I am wanting to get a taste of Vos without getting bogged down in something big. School keeps me so busy that large works just about never get finished.

I have a bit of Greek and the alphabet of Hebrew so far, so nothing extensive yet.

Thanks for the guidance on reading him.

I really enjoyed reading Vos and started with his shorter writings collected in "Redemptive History and Biblical Interpretation." Just be prepared to re-read a few passages for clarity.

:up:

I just want to say the only work of Vos' that I own is his Biblical Theology. I'm only 90'ish pages in - but those are probably the best 90 pages I've ever read outside of Scripture.I also want to say that I have to digest Vos' work extremely slowly, but the more I read of the book, the easier it becomes.

That said, I've also been reading it alongside Goldsworthy's According to Plan, and the two are highly complementary.

I really enjoyed reading Vos and started with his shorter writings collected in "Redemptive History and Biblical Interpretation." Just be prepared to re-read a few passages for clarity.

:up:

I actually ordered this book last night. I look forward to diving into it.

I'd like to read the Barcellos primarily from a viewpoint of seeing how different streams of Biblical theology come together. I'd be curious to see how he handles some of what was labeled Biblical theology that came out of higher critical thought.

but those are probably the best 90 pages I've ever read outside of Scripture

I come away from Vos feeling like I've become even more in love with God, and that I know Him so much better -- and that's after hearing years and years of solid, reformed preaching!

I've read portions of Redemptive History and am grateful that Dr. Gaffin has made these smaller works more accessible both in place and in language. (They had originally been spread across various journals, etc.) I plan to return to it. There is a different feel to these writings though -- it may be that the focus is generally on a carefully defined academic point. His other works give a fuller picture, though he is extremely careful to define his terms and to build his conclusions upon layers and layers of carefully established foundational points -- hence the long paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back