Reading While Self-Isolating

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, since the self-isolating is supposed to continue now until at least the end of April, this would be a good time to start a BIG book.

I think I'm finally going to start reading Augustine's Concerning the City of God Against the Pagans, in the late Henry Bettenson's translation from 1972 (available as a Penguin Classics paperback). Only 1,091 pages!

Anyone else going to start a big book?

Volume 5 of Stephen Charnock's works is still in the mail (likely to be delayed), so I am hoping to begin volume 4 of the works of John Newton in the meantime. Charnock is brilliant, but the print size in the Banner volumes is painfully small; whereas the text of John Newton's works is most agreeable.

I have only been reading one chapter of Robert Letham's Systematic Theology each Lord's Day, but maybe I should pick up the pace with it. As for history books, I have begun reading Richard J. Evans's The Third Reich at War, which comes in at just under 1,000 pages.

Well, since the self-isolating is supposed to continue now until at least the end of April, this would be a good time to start a BIG book.

I think I'm finally going to start reading Augustine's Concerning the City of God Against the Pagans, in the late Henry Bettenson's translation from 1972 (available as a Penguin Classics paperback). Only 1,091 pages!

Anyone else going to start a big book?

I started Joe Morecraft's Authentic Christianity: An Exposition of the Theology and Ethics of the Westminster Larger Catechism (8 volumes) last night. My other large reading project is the 12 volumes of Thomas Boston's works. After Boston, it is on to the Brothers Erskine. Those are on top of my ever-expanding reading list for work. I have to read a steady flow of books from other publishers on top of our books for marketing purposes. I am also proofreading manuscripts. The most notable is David Dickson's sermons on Lamentations.

Last edited:
I started Joe Morecraft's Authentic Christianity: An Exposition of the Theology and Ethics of the Westminster Larger Catechism (8 volumes) last night. My other large reading project is the 12 volumes of Thomas Boston's works. After Boston, it is on to the Brothers Erskine. Those are on top of my ever-expanding reading list for work. I have to read a steady flow of books from other publishers on top of our books for marketing purposes. I am also proofreading manuscripts. The most notable is David Dickson's sermons on Lamentations.

Robert, is the 2-volume set of Anthony Burgess's sermons on John 17 still being released in late March (which, ahem, has but two days to go, as of this writing)? Looking forward to them.

My quarantine plan is to type, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" a million times on my old typewriter and see if my wife hits me in the head with a baseball bat and locks me in a meat locker.

Nothing settled for me yet....I'm doing Theological College exams for the next two weeks....at home....with family....but I did start working chronologically through Edwards works last week and will probably keep that up as well finishing off the college year's reading: Al Martin: Pastoral Theology 2, Leon Morris: The Cross and the New Testament and a few chapters of Reymond.

Self isolating and making books; no time to read others! I turned in Durham on Revelation v1 of 3 on the first three chapters which should start the going to print process and should get the final Latin translation work this week and wrap up Jus Divinum Regiminis Ecclesiastici. Then I hope to get Robert's reading of Dickson on Lamentation (how many sermons on Lamentations have you heard, this last month if ever?) next week as noted above and work with the prefacer to get a good introduction on that and that will wrap up the promised first series year of Naphtali Press Special Editions. It's been a killer 3-4 years of constant projects.

I also started rereading Sermons Preached before the English Houses of Parliament by the Scottish Commissioners to the Westminster Assembly of Divines, 1643-1645 edited by @NaphtaliPress. It is a timely volume.

If you ever see this volume, do not hesitate to pick it up. It will be worth the price you paid.

I also started rereading Sermons Preached before the English Houses of Parliament by the Scottish Commissioners to the Westminster Assembly of Divines, 1643-1645 edited by @NaphtaliPress. It is a timely volume.

If you ever see this volume, do not hesitate to pick it up. It will be worth the price you paid.
Robert, That one I get enough asks (maybe also Grand Debate but some questions there) that it may be worth redoing in the NPSE series. I used an old fashion (like very early printing) page format that left generous margins for the above edition and my artsy desire fulfilled, it can be done in the larger but more standard format. Could ditch the frontis also to get costs reasonable. Sorry for the shop talk folks. Email me if you think either volume would be a sell for redoing.

@Reformed Covenanter I don't think I'll ever understand how you read as much as you do: it seems like for every page I read you've read a thousand!

I've got Iain Murray's Pentecost - Today?: The Biblical Case for Revival. I've always wanted to read a Scriptural case for revival, and this is really living up to what I've expected! Also, attempt #3~ at reading the Institutes cover to cover.

I work from home anyway. So the main difference for me is that my wife and kids are now home all day as well. This makes less time for personal reading rather than more. When I'm not working (and often even when I am), the rest of my family rightly expects me to pay them some attention.

I don't so much as start big reading projects as finish books that I am partly through with. That way I can knock out 4 or 5 in two weeks. Truth be told, I had started on them a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back