Received into Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

ww

Puritan Board Senior
I'm very pleased to announce that my wife and I were received into communicant membership by Rio Rancho OPC this morning by way of transfer from Crossroads Fellowship PCA in Albuquerque. We look forward to partnering with our brothers and sisters in Christ to reach Rio Rancho and the surrounding areas with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I also appreciate the fraternal relationship between the PCA and the OPC as the Pastor of Crossroads gave he and the Elders blessing for the transfer and our vows from Crossroads were sufficient for membership at Rio Rancho OPC. This was the first time I experienced a transfer of Membership and am pleased with the overall process. To God Be the Glory!

To God Be the Glory! Serve Him well.

Thanks Ivan. Already been asked to coordinate Youth Activities with my wife and fill in teaching SS in the future as well so looking foward to it.

I know the OPC is very close to the PCA and has fraternal relations as well.

When you transfer into the OPC, were you required to take a church membership class or training of some sort?

Didn't you have to take their membership vows?

I know the OPC is very close to the PCA and has fraternal relations as well.

When you transfer into the OPC, were you required to take a church membership class or training of some sort?

Didn't you have to take their membership vows?

No and No!

We were interviewed by the Elders in our Home a week ago or so and it was announced in the bulletin and before the congregation this morning. Our Vows in our PCA church are sufficient for membership and no class was required. A Letter of Transfer will be sent to my former church and they will remove me from their membership roll.

Orthodox Presbyterian Church
Book of Church Order

Chapter V. 5.

1. Do you believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation?
2. Do you confess that because of your sinfulness you abhor and humble yourself before God, and that you trust for salvation not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?
3. Do you acknowledge Jesus Christ as your sovereign Lord and do you promise, in reliance on the grace of God, to serve him with all that is in you, to forsake the world, to mortify your old nature, and to lead a godly life?
4. Do you agree to submit in the Lord to the government of this church and, in case you should be found delinquent in doctrine or life, to heed its discipline?

Presbyterian Church in America
Book of Church Order

57-5

1. Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of
God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save
in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God,
and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him
alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon
the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as
becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and
work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline
of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?

Looks like the vows are very similar, but not exactly the same.

The PCA requires

1) examination for credible profession of faith (and public declaration of that faith)
2) vow to walk obediently
3) vow to support the church
4) vow to submit to the government and discipline of the church
5) vow to peaceably learn the church's doctrine

It looks like the OPC requires all but not explicitly require to support the church.

I wasn't aware vows were not required for PCA to OPC transfer and am wondering about the reverse situation as well.

Orthodox Presbyterian Church
Book of Church Order

Chapter V. 5.

1. Do you believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation?
2. Do you confess that because of your sinfulness you abhor and humble yourself before God, and that you trust for salvation not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?
3. Do you acknowledge Jesus Christ as your sovereign Lord and do you promise, in reliance on the grace of God, to serve him with all that is in you, to forsake the world, to mortify your old nature, and to lead a godly life?
4. Do you agree to submit in the Lord to the government of this church and, in case you should be found delinquent in doctrine or life, to heed its discipline?

Presbyterian Church in America
Book of Church Order

57-5

1. Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of
God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save
in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God,
and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him
alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon
the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as
becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and
work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline
of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?

Looks like the vows are very similar, but not exactly the same.

The PCA requires

1) examination for credible profession of faith (and public declaration of that faith)
2) vow to walk obediently
3) vow to support the church
4) vow to submit to the government and discipline of the church
5) vow to peaceably learn the church's doctrine

It looks like the OPC requires all but not explicitly require to support the church.

I wasn't aware vows were not required for PCA to OPC transfer and am wondering about the reverse situation as well.

The Elders made sure we were aware that supporting the church financially is expected of Members and I would think 4 could generally cover that aspect as well. I think the reverse might not be the same if I remember a statement my Pastor made but can't be entirely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back