Recommendations for Study of Ten Commandments, esp. 2nd and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
I feel as if I am in the middle of a paradigm shift recently. I have believed in the Doctrines of Grace for sometime, but I have never departed from many common evangelical beliefs like (supposed) images of Jesus not a problem, the Sabbath isn't required, and in general, we are not required to follow the ten commandments per se, but the commands we must obey are repeated in the NT. I have been greatly challenged in these beliefs as I have participated in this board, and I am looking to study these things.

Do you have recommendations (preferably audio) for study on the Ten Commandments in General, but especially the Second Commandment, and the 4th commandments? I have seen Josh point out a series be his pastor here on the law in general and a series on the ten commandments here. Do you have any other recommendations?

As far as books go, Watson's Body of Divinity addresses the 10 commandments I think, Pipa has a book the Sabbath, and Rev. Hyde's book In Living Color addresses the 2nd commandments. Other resources here are also welcome. Thanks.

Durham's book on the Ten Commandments is fantastic. I was in the same shoes you are currently in when I read Durham. The book really helped me see the meaning of the commandments and how to apply it personally.

The Ten Commandments by Thomas Watson. Also, there is a commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism edited by G.I. Williamson that has some detailed Q&A on the 2nd and 4th commandments in particular.

Hi Mark,

Curious if you've read Douma's section on images recently and if you've given any thought to it? I ask as I deal with his position that artistic images are not forbidden so long as they are pursued "outside the church" in my book. Besides that, I always find his exposition and applications excellent.

The resources recommended are all excellent, and one might add Thomas Boston's Shorter Catechism sermons on the 2nd and 4th commandments. But for pointed, clear biblical perspective I highly recommend John Murray's Pictures of Christ, which should be available online, and draws attention to the fact that nothing less than the uniqueness of Jesus is at stake. Also, for the 4th commandment, Prof. Murray has four articles in his Collected Writings, vol. 1, which provides a very good introductory discussion of the subject.

More generally, for some great books on the Ten Commandments as a whole, I'd recommend the following:

-The Law of Perfect Freedom by Mike Horton (watch out for his chapter on the 4th).
-The Rule of Love by JV Fesko (a short work, very gospel/Christ-centered).
-How Jesus Transforms the Ten Commandments by Edmund Clowney

I forgot to mention the Confessional Presbyterian Journal vol. 5 has an article on images of Christ and an article by Rev. Lane Keister (greenbaggins here) on the Sabbath. It can be ordered online for $25 (Use the link in NaphtaliPress's signature).

Hi Mark,

Curious if you've read Douma's section on images recently and if you've given any thought to it? I ask as I deal with his position that artistic images are not forbidden so long as they are pursued "outside the church" in my book. Besides that, I always find his exposition and applications excellent.

Hi Danny:

I'll have to go back and re-read Douma's treatment on that question, as I'm not sure yet where I would come down on it. BTW, I did enjoy your book as well.

Alistair Begg's series called "The Pathway of Freedom" does a very good job. I was in your shoes 11 years ago. I listened to his sermons on the Fourth Commandment and found myself weeping in repentance at my desk in my study.

Very solid. Very easy to listen to. Highly recommended.

Another great sermon series on the 10 Commandments (audio), by Pastor Edward Donnelly, can be found here.

I highly recommend it to you, along with other sermons by Pastor Donnelly.

Lots of great resources mentioned already (except my article :lol:). There are lots of treatments of both the Heidelberg Catechism and the Westminster Catechisms that are phenomenal. As both of these catechisms go through the Ten Commandments, reading commentaries on these catechisms shows you what the Reformed church's position is on these things. For the Heidelberg, I recommend Ursinus's commentary and Johannes Vanderkemp's sermons as probably the two best treatments. For the Larger Catechism, you have to go with Thomas Ridgeley's commentary, although Johannes Vos isn't bad. For the shorter, go with Thomas Boston and John Flavel (in volume 6 of his works). For straight treatments of the Ten Commandments, I recommend Phil Ryken's treatment in his Exodus commentary. Henry Bullinger has a treatment of the Ten Commandments in the Decades. I found Douma helpful, except on the 2nd Commandment. Clowney was not so helpful, actually. Fesko is good. The Marrow of Modern Divinity also has a treatment of the Ten Commandments. I've also heard (but have not read) that John Ball's treatment is excellent. Thomas Watson is always worth reading as well. That should be enough to get you by. ;)

The Ten Commandments by Thomas Watson. Also, there is a commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism edited by G.I. Williamson that has some detailed Q&A on the 2nd and 4th commandments in particular.

AGREED, good stuff. It is used in our SS class.

AGREED, good stuff. It is used in our SS class.

For those interested, it's the one written by Johannes Vos. Greenbaggins linked to it above under Vos's name.

Actually, Calvin, in the Institutes, does a pretty throurough examination of the decalogue. He systematiclly analyses each, one after the other. It's a large section. Good stuff.

Two from the Puritan era:

1. Ezekiel Hopkins, which has been reprinted in his collected "Works," volume 1.

2. Lancelot Andrewes, which has not been reprinted, but is available as a PDF file through Early English Books Online (EEBO) at any good research library.

One from the modern era:

John H. Gerstner's "Reasons for Duty," but I don't know if it's still in print or not.

Hi Mark,

Hi Danny:

I'll have to go back and re-read Douma's treatment on that question, as I'm not sure yet where I would come down on it. BTW, I did enjoy your book as well.

Danny: FYI, I did go back and read both Douma and your treatment of this question. I would say that your argument to forbid *any* image of God is more persuasive following the plain language of the Heidelberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back